Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Four Under Five on Vacation Part IV

When my older sister and I were kids, my parents took us to Balboa Park all the time.  I have fond memories of walking around in the museums, splashing in the fountain, observing strange artistic dancers  and musicians, and having picnics in the grass.  

I am, therefore, naturally drawn to this place as I raise my own kids.  When Danny and I didn't have specific plans for the day, my go-to place for everything kid friendly was Balboa Park.  And I know my kids: they are happiest in a place where they can run free and go up and down a million steps if they so desire. 

So on one of these outings, my mom, the ever faithful Aunt Bette, Danny, me and all four under five of my kiddos decided to visit a museum.  The Natural History Museum is featuring an amazing exhibit on dinosaurs.  I thought the kids would love it.  And this time, for once, I was right! 

At first, everyone was a little psyched out by the huge, moving, roaring Tyrannosaurus Rex  that greeted us in the lobby.  I love Little G's face right here.  That is real fear.  Cubby is gearing up to roar really loud right now, and I am getting ready to feel really embarrassed about the noise.  My oldest daughter experienced some actual trepidation about going any further into the museum after seeing the moving T-Rex.  She had to be held while I explained that it is not real, just a huge toy.  Like the one in Toy Story.  "Remember that cute little green T-Rex?" I told her, "He's just like that," and she bought it.  






I love this photo.  I love the looks on every one's faces.  I love the fact that my mom is hovering ever so careful of the kids' safety in the background.  And I love the light green sign in the background that says, "Please Do Not Climb on the Exhibits."  






E and Cubby could have set up camp and lived in this little cave for the remainder of our vacation.  They are all about secret get-aways and dark hideouts right now. 






J.D. and Aunt Bette got up close and personal with a mountain lion. 








Cubby, who was not afraid of any of the semi-frightening exhibits, gladly posed in front of anything and everything.







Anything and everything.






This is our most recent family photo.  It is extremely difficult to get a picture of all six of us together, I'm sure you can imagine why.  This was a success, however, and yes, two out of six had a major meltdown following this picturesque scene.  And also yes, one of them was me.  

This was such a fantastic trip.  The most wonderful thing about it was the amount of time the kids got to spend with their dad.  Each of them got as much one on one time as they wanted for five consecutive days with Danny.  It was a gift of time that could not have been better spent.  

 I've got to give a shout out to all of the family members who helped make this trip possible.  Thank you to mom, dad, Susie, Jim, Aunt Bette, and Ayron.  You all bless our lives in so many ways! THANK YOU!

No comments: