Sunday, August 15, 2010

Four Under Five on Vacation Part I

Today marks our last day of vacation.  I say this knowing full well that I've been gone most of the summer with the kids while my dear, hard-working hubby has stayed home to keep the home fires burning.  And by home fires, I mean the blazing hot Southern California desert weather, not the type in the fireplace, that would be insane.

This vacation to which I am referring is the one that Danny took with us.  He took five and a half days off from the ranch to hang out with his awesome wife and kids in San Diego.  Taking time off for Danny this go around meant no cell phone, no early rising, no quick trips out to check on how things were going.  He let it all go, and he quickly became a free, vacation loving man!

I am going to have to break our vacation description up into four or five parts, since there are so many aspects to vacationing with four under five that are straight up hilarious, frustrating, and heart warming.

By the way, I need to explain the new Four Under Five header picture.  This shot of all four of my kids is absolutely as good as it gets.  They are all smiling. They are not showing their underwear.  They are not crying.  They are all looking in the general direction of the camera.  It is a winner.

Anyway, you might notice that J.D. and Little G have extremely red lips.  Here's the whole story:

We went to that park that morning to walk around and enjoy the sights, but Danny's main purpose in going was to take the two big girls to the Imax movie on the Hubble telescope.  He was totally jazzed about it, so the girls faint whimperings about not being interested didn't damper his spirits whatsoever.

At the park, as it neared time to get over to the theater, the my oldest, E made her status very clear.  She didn't like space, she didn't like movies, she didn't want to go.  Her whining and complaining increased until it hit a fever pitch, so Danny decided to take just take Cubby.  I agreed to watch twin-time and E while they watched the movie.  Danny and Cubby headed off in the direction of the theater, and the three other kids and I walked over to the nearest fountain to splash their little hands.

About five minutes later, Danny's sad, frustrated dejected voice informed me over the cell phone that right in the line for the movie Cubby decided against the show as well.  They met us at the fountain.  I told Danny to go back and catch the movie by himself, but it was too late, they'd already closed the doors.

The kids played at that fountain and ran up and down the stairs nearby for about thirty minutes.  After that we hiked around the park while the kids laughed and ran and jumped around.  We were nearing a bunch of little snack carts with ice cream, frozen lemonade, and shave ice for sale.  Danny and I decided to get some shave ice.  The girls looked at us with those big puppy dog eyes, silently, and then not so silently begging for a cold, sweet treat of their own.  We bought only two, one for me, one for Danny.  


Then we made our way over to a bench close to a large fountain.  We sat down and ate our shave ice.  Mine was raspberry, Danny's was grape.  It was fantastic.  The babies asked for bites, and we gladly gave them their bites.  The girls sat there, looking miserable.  Finally E plucked up the courage to ask for a bite.  And here's what I said.


"OK, E, here is why I am not going to give you any bites.  Daddy does a lot for you.  He loves you, takes care of you, buys you toys, and gives you food and clothes.  Daddy and I planned this whole vacation for you.  We took you to the zoo, the beach, and multiple parks.  We did these things because we want you to be happy and enjoy your vacation.  Now Daddy asked you to do one thing.  He asked you to go with him to a movie.  Your response to your loving dad was, 'no, I don't like space,' and then you proceeded to throw a fit in public.  So, no, you won't be getting a single bite, and I will not tolerate one complaint."  


She was silent.  So was I.  The day continued.  I can't say it was without more issues and discipline problems, but it was a good day.  And hopefully, the girls will think twice before making these decisions.  


So very long story short, the babies lips are red and purple due to the shave ice they ate.  It stained their lips and tongues dark red.  I will always look at that picture and remember the lesson I attempted to teach my little girls and of course, how delicious that raspberry shave ice tasted!

No comments: