Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sugar Detox Day 24: High on Life

Have you ever experienced a definite, noticeable, game-changing, highpoint in your life?   And it changed your thought process?  Your mind seemed to shift?  And most importantly, you realized it either in that exact moment or right after, that, "Wow, my life will never be the same"?  This highpoint moment redefined something about yourself or who you are.   And the moment brought clarity to previously darkened or blurry spots in your consciousness.   That happens to people when their first (second, or third, or fourth) baby is born, or when they receive news that they've been accepted into the college of their dreams, or a close family member dies, or when they come to know the Lord Jesus, or when they've been hired or fired from a job, or when they stand in a beautiful setting, like atop a mountain's peak, and they sense the closeness, the infinite magnitude of our Creator.

I experienced a mind shift as described above this weekend.

Our family spent last week at Forest Home Family Camp, which sits just 15 minutes up in the mountains from Yucaipa.  Now I've attended Christian camps before, as a kid and teenager, and I would always leave those camps with a deep sense of purpose, and a renewed commitment to the Lord.  But, as often happens after church camp, I would arrive back home and after only a week or so, I'd fall back into my old ways, not allowing the clarity of the week's experiences to saturate my real life.

This week was truly an immeasurable gift from God.  We were surrounded by God's beautiful, forested creation.  Waking to the sun slanting through the pine trees; our little cabin felt nestled among the rocks, shrubs, and giant trees.  Strolling next to a burbling creek, where huge rocks had been etched with scripture:
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, 
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future. 
Jeremiah 29:11

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, 
but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, 
I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galations 2:20

we read, saw, and felt God's presence.  We hiked along winding trails edged with wild blackberry bushes.  We swam in the pool which held views of the surrounding steep mountains.  It was a revelation to me just to be in the midst of God's beauty.

We were also blessed to hear incredible speakers.  Alistair Begg, national Bible scholar and preacher, spoke to us on the Book of Ruth.


I will never think of Ruth the same again.  In a time of great political turmoil and chaos, God fixed His gaze on a lonely and bitter widow, Naomi.  And He showed His great love and commitment to her through blessing her with a loyal daughter-in-law, and eventually a son, who would be in the line of King David, and years later, the Lord Jesus Himself.  I have never scribbled notes so quickly!   If interested in Alistair Begg, his Truth For Life website is a wonderful resource, and I've started reading his morning devotional and listening to his brief sermons.

Although I loved hearing Alistair Begg in person, I must admit that I have a special place in my heart for our morning speaker, Chris Simning.


If you ever have a chance in your life to hear one speaker who will change your life, I pray you will hear the story of Chris Simning.  His story had grown men, those who are not prone to crying, in pieces.  His solid dedication to Christ and story of redemption is something I will never forget.  He has some speaking videos on You Tube.  Here's one if interersted: Beauty from Brokenness by Chris Simning 

My sugar detox update will have to be tomorrow.  I was just brimming with excitement to share about my incredible trip, and ran out of time. But I had time to upload some fun family pics from the trip.  Take a look!  And consider taking your family to Forest Home Family Camp next summer, you will have the time of your life!  

The camp produced an incredible video of our week at camp.  If you need any further motivation, please watch, and cry (as I do every time I watch it).  Keep your eyes open for any and all Walkers in the Forest Home Family Camp 2014 Video


On our first official morning at camp, we took a walk down to the creek.  This is where they have scripture rocks along the way. 






James really was happy!  I promise! 



The kids are painting projects at the Craft Cabin.  What a wonderful concept!  The kids went in and browsed all kinds of different craft projects: wood projects, ceramics, mosaics, paper crafts like card making, leather-working, etc.  They pick out their project, add accessories, mom buys the project, then we go the craft desk and get all materials we need to complete it.  



We have an official rule in our family.  While on vacation, we have a sweet, and usually creamy snack mid afternoon.  Think ice cream.  Or in  this case, root beer floats.  Mom had a piece of bacon jerky.  



James had a fabulous time. 

Sunning on the lounge chair when the pool water was too cold.



Swinging on the rope swing like a boss!  



And playing mini-golf every chance he got!   Look out Uncle Chris! 



In our little corner of the campground, we quickly became known as the "musical family." Many mornings and lazy afternoons were filled with the sounds of Grace sawing away on her violin, or Clara plucking the tune of "500 Miles" on her mandolin, or James banging on his drum pad to the rhythm while Emma and Danny harmonized with their beautiful voices.  
Mom watched, and took lots of pictures.  



Lake Day at Forest Home is a definite highlight. 
 Grace and Clara can be seen jumping on the floating trampoline.   


Beautiful Clara loved every bit of her time in the water!  Such a sweetie! 


Danny took off for the Valley for a few days of work right after Lake Day, 
so I grabbed a selfie with him before he left.  





It's 3:00 somewhere!  And at camp, that means it's time for shave ice.  

One of the best things about FH was the food!! More on that tomorrow! 

Cubs and mommy.  And just look at her long legs!  I've gotta grab lap time with my big girls anytime they want it! 


We finally learned the art of sleeping in while at camp.  My kids, who are normally fairly early risers, had to be roused by 8:00 every morning, just to make it to breakfast on time.  And did I mention how much we WOULD NOT WANT TO MISS BREAKFAST?  Yeah.  

Their faces indicate deep sadness, just in case you couldn't tell.  This is our last full day at FH, and we are all very unwilling to go home.  


The view from the pool.  

Such beauties, inside and out!   

The two girls on the left and right of the picture are our CCA's (Child Care Assistants) because, yep, FH thinks of everything. While the adults spent their evenings listening to Alistair Begg and twice having fancy adult dinners, the kids lived it up with two teenage gifts from God.  In fact, these two girls were such a blessing to our family at camp, that Grace cried when she left because she already missed her CCA's.  

Danny came back up to camp to help pack us up and take us home.  

I love this picture.  All three are smiling, kinda.  And it shows our favorite little cabin and number, so we will never forget it.  But it also shows Danny in the background, looking under the bed for forgotten blankies, solo socks, or Gracie's bunny, which always seems to find its way under the bed right when we have to leave anywhere.  Such a good dad!  

And such a great week!  We are already signed up to attend next year, and can't wait for another week of rest, relaxation and revival in God's presence.  Consider taking your family; it's a decision you won't regret.  



No comments: