Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Twin Language

People are always asking me if the twins have a secret language.  Up until now, I have said no.

Little G has been babbling for at least six months now, and has tons of words and even sentences in her vocabulary (my personal favorite: "I did it!").  Her twin brother, J.D. is a boy and therefore is a little slower in every department.  When asked if he wants something he responds, "eh."  I have become quite adept at translating his seemingly wishy-washy response into yes and no answers.  "Eh" normally means yes, and "Neh" means no.  To be honest, if I get it wrong, I'll be the first to know.

In the last couple weeks of so, the twins have really started communicating.  It began with little babbling discussions across the table from one another.  They would babble and gesture, as if they were really talking, then break into laughter at appropriate moments.  J.D. has a way of getting his sister to laugh like no one else.

They have increased their communication quite a bit, so that they now have nicknames for each other.  The nicknames, coincidentally, are the same for both.  J.D. refers to Little G as "Da-da," and she calls him "Da-da" right back.  It can get a little confusing when Daddy is present, but we've learned to differentiate the two names.

I love to hear them calling to each other or asking for the other's help.  Just the other day, Little G was in her bed just before nap time, and wanted her baby bunny.  She started yelling to her brother, who was not yet in his crib to help her out.  I heard her call out, "Da-da!  Daaaaaa-daaaaa!"  Now J.D., who was sitting on the carpet with me, jumped up and ran in to see what he needed to do for her.  I could hear her say "Da-da, Geecie, baby bunny," which means, "J.D., get me Gracie's baby bunny."  She still refers to herself in the third person.  He promptly ran around, located the bunny, and deposited it in her crib.

Anyway, that little moment of twin cooperation made my day, possibly my week.

No comments: