Sunday, June 29, 2014

Prelude to the Sugar Detox

I am addicted to sugar.  There.  I said it.

I've known that I have a serious problem with the white stuff for a long time now.  I would joke about it with my friends and say, almost begging to be taken seriously, "I just can't get enough sweets, I crave them constantly!" And they would reply, "Oh me too!  I just ate an Oreo after lunch!"  And I would smile, unwilling to admit how much I had indulged in earlier.

So anyway, I've decided to go on a little 21 day sugar detox.  It sounds crazy, but a detox really works.  Last spring, I did a 60 day sugar detox, and although the first ten days were incredibly uncomfortable (that's my mildest way of downplaying the headaches, crankiness, exhaustion and overall feeling of anger that took over my life when I first quit), I came out the other side and I felt AMAZING.  Amazing, as in, I'd never felt that good in my whole life.  I lost weight, felt lighter, energized, and my mind felt clearer and more focused.  I literally felt like my vision improved.  But then, the twins' birthday party rolled around and I wanted cake.  Let's just say I didn't stop at that one slice of cake.  And….here I am, a year later, and 20 pounds heavier.

When I turned 35 last month, I felt so depressed about my incredibly disturbing addiction to sugar.  I've read all the books, have talked with various people in the past, hired the personal trainer, tried different diets, but I've always reverted back to eating too much sugar.  And now it's affecting not only my energy levels and weight, but my spiritual life as well.  It finally dawned on me in my ladies' Bible study from early this spring.  We did a study called, "A Woman After God's Own Heart."  The author, Elizabeth George, focuses on God's deep desire to have a personal relationship with us.  And all of a sudden I realized, that means He wants to know me.  And my relationship with sugar, meaning the all-encompassing thought process that I pour into when I'm going to get my next fix, what's in the cupboard that's sweet and satisfying, when can I run by and get a Diet Coke, and on and on, was getting in the way of my relationship with Him.   And I'm feeding my body poison that makes me tired and cranky and flabby.  Nice.

That being said, I'm starting tomorrow.  Tomorrow, June 30th, is my first day of life without sugar.    Please will you pray for me during this little journey?  I'm nervous.  I have a house full of kids, and it's summer!  We've been eating ice cream or popsicles or shave ice every day since the beginning of June!  And I desperately need a break from all that.   I will attempt to blog daily to keep track of this little journey for my own record.  Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and support!

No comments: