Thursday, August 26, 2010

4:00 PM

 Four o'clock is my current favorite time of day.  Over the years, my favorite time has changed, depending on what was going on in my life.  

I hate to admit it, but my very favorite time a day one year ago was when the babies were napping.  I remember feeling like I had a little piece of my old life back.  That old life included cooking more, playing with the girls, and having a tiny bit of "me" time.  

Before the twins were born, I loved breakfast time with the girls.  We ate leisurely, discussed silly or important things, and enjoyed each other's company. 

Times have changed once again, as they always do.  

These days, four o'clock represents an unusually harmonious time in my household.  The babies have just woken up from their naps.  Their ruddy faces and unruly hair and soft bodies always make me smile and make me want to snuggle.  The big girls have lately decided that this time of day is their favorite time to work on art projects.  They sit at their little white table and color and draw, and at times, fuss with each other over crayon ownership.  I, meanwhile, am posted at my new favorite location in the house, the kitchen island.  While stirring up some marinade, or pouring batter for muffins, I overlook my brood and feel a sense of pleasure and encouragement over seeing everyone doing so well.  "We made it!" I think!  Four o'clock is also just ninety minutes away from when Danny comes walking in the door from work.  The late afternoons always feel a little more hopeful to me for that reason.  Not only do I look forward to seeing him because he is such a big help to me, but he comforts and soothes the stress temperature of the house.  

These past two difficult years of shock over being pregnant with, then giving birth to pre-mature twins, then managing a household with four kids under age three has made me appreciate the little moments.  It is in these little moments that I see what blessings I truly have.  It is also in these moments that I see God, in all of His wisdom, for knowing what was best for Danny and I.  Even when we kicked and screamed as we protested, God watched over us and sometimes without even being asked, gave us the strength and courage to continue on another day.

Ok, now for the pictures.  Here is a visual of my 4:00 PM.

My big kindergartner loves art.  At this moment, she has taken a break from singing, but just prior to this, she was belting out princess songs in her fullest vibrato.





Cubby is happily hangin' with her big sis and coloring as well.  She hums along to her big sister's singing, which is a sweet thing in itself.






Little G has become a bookworm in the past few weeks.  She dutifully carries out book after book to the living room, where she plops down and looks through each one.  Actually, if I was completely accurate, I would have to admit that little J.D. does the major amount of book carrying for his sister.  He receives his orders of, "Da-da, moh book-sss!"  And without question, runs into his bedroom to gather more reading material for his twin sis. 




Now, you might be asking yourself, what is a little boy to do amidst all of this estrogen laced peace and harmony? 






J.D. chose to do the most masculine thing possible.  He grabbed this plastic rake, and started banging it down on the tile floor.  He was very pleased with himself after each of these little tirades.  Why did he do this?  No clue.  But I do know that when he would finish with a banging session, he would smile, then look at me, and I would smile back at him to let him know it was o.k. with me, and he would continue.  

Four o'clock is a happy, magical time in my home.  I wonder when my next favorite time will be?  

No comments: