Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Movie Review: John Adams

Have I mentioned that Danny and I don't get out much?

Well we don't.

When we do go out, we go to dinner. Going out to the show is a major production, for us, that is. Every few months we'll splurge on a babysitter so that we can go out to dinner AND go to the theater. The last time we went we saw the new Sherlock Holmes.

Usually we watch movies at home. Once in a great while the kids all collapse into their beds early enough for us to watch an entire movie, but usually we watch half one night, and half the next. This is why we have Netflix. I am lucky enough to be in charge of the Netflix queue, and I relish this power I have over the entertainment choices of the family.

This month, Danny and I have watched the first five of the seven part HBO mini-series on one of our founding fathers, John Adams. I can't tell you how fascinating we have found this series! I highly recommend this to anyone with even the slightest bit of American historical interest. I have to admit, I wasn't sure how interesting an entire seven hours of viewing would be on the second President of the United States, but it has proven mesmerizing.


I felt that such high quality TV watching ought to be shared, and here's why.

The acting is incredible, believable, and real. Laura Linney as Abigail Adams is so moving and powerful. I mean, the woman spent years by herself raising the kids while her husband worked tirelessly on forming our new country, and it all becomes real on the screen.

The sets make you feel like you are really looking at early America in the late 1700s. The scenes in Boston with the huge sailing ships in the background, with the sounds of the unloading on the docks and men yelling appear amazingly accurate.

The series transports you to a completely different time and binds together many of the most important men in American history. Alongside John Adams in the Continental Congress, you meet Benjamin Franklin, and of course Samuel Adams, John's cousin. While living in London, as the Ambassador to England after the war, Adams becomes close friends with Thomas Jefferson. The movie makes all the characters that have seemed so flat from history class, come to life in vibrant, moving reality.

I have two more discs to go, and can't wait to watch John Adams' history unfold.

I highly recommend this movie to all adults and older children, the high school age kid would enjoy it just for the historical reference. There is one kind of awkward, but definitely not nude sex scene, so it's not really for kids. There's too much dialogue for kids anyway, but I thought I'd point that out.

Happy viewing!

1 comment:

Ayron S. Moiola said...

I also enjoyed it because it brought to light the Founding Father's intent when they wrote the documents and built the foundations of our country! We are so very far from their intent now and that is the problem with America! Without a vision the people perish....