Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kitchen Update: The Halfway Point

Our kitchen has been wrecked for a little over one month now. Currently, the project is at a stand-still while we wait for the cabinets to arrive. So much has happened at such a rapid pace, it's pretty unreal! With this downtime, why don't we take a little walk down memory lane?




No, this is not a photo from the 1960s, this was my kitchen just 6 weeks ago. We had custom built wood cabinets, old and sassy electric appliances, and majorly stained wallpaper. Thirty years ago, even twenty years ago, I'm sure this kitchen was totally top of the line. I'm sure it really began to age when the love of my life moved his single self in just under nineteen years ago. I can sum up some of the damage in just three words: Cattle Call Party. This wall is now gone and the kitchen is opened up to the living room.








Here's our old kitchen nook. I'm not even going to THINK about what disgusting food stuffs have been smeared into the wallpaper. Ah man! Too late, I just did. Gross.



Here's our old view to our front yard and street.



And now....just a few weeks later....

Ta Da! Actually, this is from last week. That window on the right is our new kitchen window that faces the street. That open doorway smack dab in the middle is the entrance to the laundry room.
And here it is today! It's coming along great, and we are getting really excited!
Here's another old picture of our former dining room. We marked the wall with blue tape, and hoped that someday it would become a real window.



Sadly, that cute little chandelier had to take the long walk out to the ranch. It is definitely too fancy for the new decor.



And the window became a reality just one week ago!
And now the dining room is on its way to hosting many a fun family dinner party. I LOVE the huge amount of light and warmth this window brings to the entire new space. Blame my mom for this obsession, she's a natural light nut! She still doesn't have drapes on her beautiful new home, and it looks awesome!
I had a moment of temporary insanity when debating over the paint colors. Thank you Ramon and Luke for the therapy sessions. I swear, contractors should get educated in "Methods for Soothing Crazy Women in the Middle of Their Remodeling Projects," along with their regular licensing requirements....or maybe just the contractors I hire.
And here's the obligatory cute photo of the babies for you people who don't give a hoot about paint colors and kitchen cabinets. I thought I'd just stick this in here to keep you going!



I was soooooo happy the day the windows arrived.
Then my day went down the tubes when my contractor pointed out this crack. I seriously almost started crying. What did I tell you about those therapy sessions?! Then he calmed me down, by assuring me this happens all the time. Oh. Ok, let's move on. He was absolutely right, and the company handled it all graciously.
The front of the house is changing....
and now it's starting to look like home.
We plan on painting the exterior a new and exciting color someday, but for now, we plan on just enjoying the view.

No comments: