Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Very Fine Day at the Fair

We spent a wonderful day at the fair today.



Danny and I decided to take only the two big girls today, so that they could fully enjoy themselves without us having to run all over looking for two crazy-eyed twins. This meant no strollers, no diaper bag, no rushing home for naptime, no crying, and no meltdowns.



The girls are at the perfect age for the fair. They were totally entertained by every booth. Every exhibit had something to look at and they were in awe of all the colors, sounds, and smells.



We went to church first thing in the morning, so we made it to the fair right around lunchtime. The girls asked for hot dogs, I had a shrimp ceviche tostada, and Danny had a mish-mash of different fair food.



Then the REAL fair food was to be consumed. Oh and we did consume.

I assumed cotton candy would be a winner with the girls, I mean, it's pink! Fluffy! Super sweet!

It wasn't actually a big hit.

E threw hers away after a few bites. She didn't like how sticky it made her fingers. Whatever, I have four kids, a neat freak is welcome any day of the week.



Now Cubby is a whole different kind of crazy. She liked the cotton candy, but since it was so fluffy and soft, like a cloud, that she laid on the grass and used it as a pillow. We had to chuck the grass and dirt covered "pillow" and she had a little more.





I know, a dentist somewhere is crying. But don't worry, she still has her baby teeth.




Now, I am not a cotton candy person. Well, I was, but I am no longer five.

But I do love dessert. There is absolutely no question about that.

I like delicious creamy things preferably drizzled in chocolate and sitting in a cone.

Now last year, the fair had a gelato stand. I not only dreamed about this gelato every day for two weeks after I ate it, I prayed it would be back at the fair this year.
I love this gelato.
I arrived at the fair, and anxiously looked for the telltale sign.
I grew anxious and started sweating.
Where is the gelato sent straight from heaven?



And then I saw it.


And everything was right with the world.







The Colossal Gelato guy is now my girls' best friend.







Oh my.


I did not order this. No really, I didn't!


What happened is that I went up to the booth and began professing my love for the gelato. I actually told the guy that I had prayed for it to come back. I got a little emotional. Anyway, he totally understood. So he said, "I'm going to do something special for our biggest fan." And then he gave me this beautiful masterpiece of gelato goodness. I almost cried. Then I ate it. And I did not share one single bite with my little family. I know, horrible, right!? My only defense is that they didn't ask, they must have seen the look of love in my eyes, and knew it would be a lost cause.




Then we went to a stage to watch Cubby perform with her dance group. A bunch of 3 and 4 year olds got up there and charmed the pants off the entire audience. It was great. I videotaped the whole thing if you'd like to catch a glimpse.



















Then we headed over to the carnival. It was incredibly crowded, and the girls were bubbling over with excitement. They wanted to go on everything and anything.



First we rode down the huge slide. Cubby was a little unsure so I burned some rubber on the slide with her on my lap.










Then they went on their own with a couple of our neighbor girls.






Weeeeeeee!!!!






Then the girls saw the canoe ride and they were completely transfixed. They became little Pocahontas's and their only desire was to ride through a rumbling river in a canoe....






.....through a purple plastic teepee.
Hey, it totally works! They loved this!





Then we had a little more yummy fair food. Snow cones. Yum.







You gotta do it, right?!







My little chickie.






Then the girls sidled on up to the pony ride. They had been asking to do this all day, so this was the perfect culminating activity to a perfect day.





E loved this little white pony. I see a pony in our future.






Definitely. A pony is definitely in our future.





And then Danny took this unflattering photo of my rear, and we headed for home.

Our two tired little munchkins went to bed early tonight.


A good day at the fair is all I really needed to fill my heart to overflowing with thankfulness for the blessings in my life. God is so good.

Here's Cubby's dance performance video. If you have another minute, check it out!



No comments: