Friday, February 26, 2010

A Day Trip

Danny, E, Cubby, and I went to Palm Desert yesterday to shop for kitchen stuff. Danny had been begging me to go look at countertop colors, tile floors, and backsplash options. I dragged my feet and came along, if only to keep the big lug company.

Just kidding, Danny is totally not into this kitchen design stuff. But yesterday, I needed a second opinion, and since Danny has been virtually uninvolved (except to write the big checks) with this process, I asked him to come along.

We had a really fun time. Did you know that Palm Desert is pretty close to equal to Disneyland on the "fun" scale? It's true. The girls loved it.

First we met with the cabinet designer to talk countertop options. This took a while, and we decided on some pretty choices.

Then we went to lunch.

Warning: Lots of pictures to follow.



I love that our two girls are big enough now to sit quietly in a booth while we wait for our food. They don't fuss or whine or complain. They sit like normal people and chat and color their placemats. I do not ever take this for granted. Babies, you're next!





E wrote an entire story about dolphins, a cat, and an elephant.





Yum. Pizza.





Yum. Beef szechuan noodles. A little salty, but good. Yes, this was still a work day for Danny, and rain was in the forecast, so phone calls happen.
Then we went right down the escalator and onto the grassy area in the middle of the mall. The girls had more fun out there!
Cubby found a couple of new friends.
E found a belly button.




They really sang "Ring Around the Rosies" and danced with the statues. It was great.




E washed her hands in the fountain. All fountains we ever encounter are used for a good hand washing.



See?




Isn't this beautiful? What a picturesque pathway. Danny said we should make this in our yard, but make it a mountain bike path.


Then we went to pick out floor tile and backsplash.

E definitely had an opinion. "Polka dots are so cute, mom!"





Choices, choices.



Clearly, this is not Danny's thing. Hanging around a showroom is his worst nightmare. So, it was at this point, when my excitement is growing, and I don't read his body language, facial expression, or hangdog appearance, and I ask a ridiculous question. I want to know what styles he likes, apart from my influence. So I ask, "What are you drawn to?" And he said, "You mean, besides the front door?" Ouch.





Then we got smoothies on the way out of town.




Mine was 100% AWESOME. It was called Chai Crazy or something like that. It was the most delicious thing I have had on this planet in a long time. AND it's calorie free! Not really, I just told myself that and I enjoyed it even more.





Danny was a little jealous. His Soy Power Smoothie couldn't compete.
Then we arrived home to a major surprise.
The wall between the kitchen and the living room magically disappeared in our absence! See that plastic curtain way in the background? That was a wall. I am ecstatic.
Then we went outside, since that's the only safe place in our house now for the kids to play.

Cubby pretended to be Queen Starfish.




Cousin E came over and took a thrilling ride on the jeep.



And then she was crowned Queen Starfish.
What a wonderful day!

1 comment:

lukehamby said...

That's the same face I made when I tried one of Danny's tofu shakes!