Thursday, February 25, 2010

A "Second" First Day of School

Cubby started her first year of pre-school last September. She was the most eager, excited, gung-ho little three-year-old on that first day last fall. She had good reason to be so thrilled. She was going to attend not any old ordinary pre-school. She was part of an elite squad of pre-school students lucky enough to attend Mrs. Green's Kiddie Pre-School.

Mrs. Green taught E her first and second years of pre-school. The first year was tense and kind of tough for her since E was only two when she started, and she was (and is) an extreme home-body and mama's girl (which I have NO problem with, and am not ashamed to say so). Mrs. Green was the most gentle, kind, sweet, loving, patient, wonderful, nurturing soul in the whole entire world to little E that year. No one could have done what she did for my little girl. She loved her and accepted her, and by mid-year or so, E had blossomed into a much more independent girl. E's second year of pre-school was an entirely different and much more fun experience for all. E looked forward to going, became involved and animated in class, and longed for Mrs. Green on the non-school days.

So you get the point that Mrs. Green is loved in our house. That's why Cubby was so excited to go to pre-school this year.

Last year, when I would drop E off at school, Cubby would whine about the fact that she was forced to go home with boring old me, and why oh why couldn't she stay with Mrs. Green? A couple of times I caught her hiding out behind a bucket of toys, I'm sure hoping I would just forget about her and go on about my wonderful day without my two year old in tow. Then I would have to drag her out kicking and screaming, and endure the stares of all the jealous moms. Yeah, I know so many moms yearn for my situation with all these kids. They don't have to say it, I can sense these things.

So this year, Cubby has had a wonderful time with her class at Mrs. Green's. She loved every minute of her day, and would report back her most memorable moments. From the most horrendous, "Somebody threw sand!" to the sweet, "I love Sophia," to the bizarre, "I don't really want to eat snails," I heard it all, and I knew she was in the exact right place.



First day of pre-school.
September 2009.


What an adorable little school girl!



Here she is in class that first day. Work that playdough, sister!




I love this picture. Let me translate her facial expression: "Mom, I'm trying to work with playdough here, make friends, and enjoy myself. I am also living my dream of being a student in Mrs. Green's class. Can you please take your camera and leave so I can have a little fun?!"




Pre-school has been great all fall and winter. But Mrs. Green had to have surgery on her knee this February, and the surgery ended up revealing some complications. So long story short, she has been forced to take an eight month break from her pre-school teacher duties. The bending over, climbing stairs, and crouching down were a bit too much, and she needs lots of rest. Needless to say, she was devastated, and so were her students.

Here she is at her last pre-school get together of the winter, the Valentine's Day party.
Cubby is pretty thrilled about seeing Mrs. Green again....and the cupcake is apparently delicious!
After a few weeks at home, and the boredom and whining set in, I hoped and prayed for a place for Cubby to go for some socialization. The praying worked! Cubby got in to a two day per week class at our local Catholic school, and today was her first day!
Cubby is SO excited. The new dress helps. That's actually why E is crying.
E is all about being a princess, so she insists every morning on wearing a dress. Because princesses only wear dresses. I mean, have you ever seen Sleeping Beauty in a pair of jeans? I didn't think so. E wanted to wear a dress today, but she wore that same dress yesterday, so she had to brave it out and wear a skirt. "But princesses never wear skirts, mommy!" she declared. I had to remind her about Snow White's, Cinderella's, and Ariel's skirts (ok, Ariel's is a tail, but I was desperate at this point). She didn't go for it, so here's the best shot I could get of the sisters.....this one will go down in history.


Cubby is ready to meet her new teacher and new friends. You go girl!!! Hey, that's a sweet mini-van in the background.
It was a great day. Cubby made a new friend, created a cool craft pig, learned about the letter "u" (for umbrella bird), and declared love for her new teacher. Life is good. And thank God for answered prayer!


No comments: