Friday, February 12, 2010

Kitchen Clean Out

I spent my entire day cleaning out the kitchen. Tomorrow morning, the cabinets will be removed, and that will be the end of our kitchen as we know it for about three months.

This clean out process has been some pretty serious work, and I've come to realize something for this ordeal. I want to live a cleaner, simpler life. I look forward to organizing and maintaining a clean, orderly pantry and kitchen, where there are not a million doubles of everything and half the items have overdue expiration dates. I look forward to knowing exactly where things are, and having a home full of my own things that I use, not things that go untouched for literally years.

We have had a fun few days, to be honest. The girls have thoroughly enjoyed volunteering to help clean out the cupboards, taking great pride in carrying anything made of glass. I proved to them that I trusted them this week, and they held their heads very high.

The babies were really no help at all. They ended up enjoying removing things from already packed boxes, running out the door when it was left ajar, and basically running amok throughout the day. They skipped their naps today, probably due to the demolition noise from outside, so my parents took them for the evening so we could work hard on cleaning out the cabinets.

It's just amazing how much stuff was in that one room! We are also remodeling our garage at the same time. So all the stuff that was from the garage is out in the breezeway and back patio, and all the kitchen stuff is piled on top of that. The garage is where I would have put all this stuff from the kitchen for safe keeping during the remodel, but our timing on all this was off by a few weeks.

Here are a few pictures logging our experiences during these last 24 hours....



Here are the kiddos eating breakfast at one of our last meals here in the old kitchen. They clearly don't understand what we're about to go through in the next few months.





Here's all the wreckage from yesterday's demo work. It's pretty impressive how fast the trash piles up,


so Danny decided to haul out the big guns and order the dumpster. Cubby's reaction was pretty funny. She saw it and got so excited. She couldn't put her shoes on fast enough. She ran out there and wanted to climb the little ramp to go inside. I had to tell her about nails and splinters and everything, and that kind of killed the fun, but she still thought it was cool to have this huge metal box in our front yard. I do too, kind of.






Then E came home from school and showed us her Valentine's Day loot. Is she an organized kid or what?




Here's the house at yesterday's end. Pretty sweet!







Cool orange insulation! See ya water heater!






While I was checking this out, something else was going on in the front yard....






Just a couple of all-American kids running and kicking their shoes in the air. Yes, it's 3:00 PM, and yes, Cubby is still wearing her jammies. Actually, so am I.





Look at that form. This is some serious shoe throwing. This could be an Olympic event.





Cubby's shoe just hit my car. Whatever, the mini can take it.




The next morning, the guys showed up bright and early, and immediately started pounding. You know, it's hard to eat breakfast when someone is pounding on the wall next to your kitchen table. It was at this point that Cubby said, "I don't like our house, it's too loud," and covered her ears.


You go guys!





And the wall goes up.






Nice work.


Meanwhile, my kids are having a regular Friday afternoon.

The babies are eating tiny toys.




J.D. is carrying a big pink stick, and yes, he did whack G on the head with it. She can now say "Ouch," it is so darn cute!


Cubby worked on Valentine's cards. This one she's writing is to our wonderful babysitter, Martha, who saves my life three days per week. She chose to write, "I love you Martha, you are a great babysitter."




E and Cubby worked on cards.
We spent our last dinner in the old kitchen. As you can see, I am totally stoked because this is our last night in the kitchen, AND I lost 3.2 pounds this week! Cubby is adorable, E is moody, and the babies are at mom's. We loved our barbacoa dinner, thanks Boys & Girls Club!



No comments: