Wednesday, June 23, 2010

You've Come a Long Way, Babies!

On this day, two years ago, I went into labor.  I was nine weeks away from my due date, had been on bed rest for two weeks, and went into labor with the twins.  They were born via emergency C-section at 10:30 AM. 

I woke that morning to the pain of contractions, but thinking it was just another round of false labor, I waited a while.  Then the pain got worse, the contractions grew heavier, I started crying, and Danny and I got on the road as fast as we could toward the hospital.  When we arrived the doctor took one look at me and said, "You are in real labor."  Then the tears really started.  I didn't plan on having pre-mature twins, I wanted to carry them longer.  I knew all the risks that went along with pre-mature babies.  I had tried to be careful while carrying them.  I wanted full term babies.  I was scared and shocked.

But God had other plans, and the babies came nine weeks early.  J.D. was born two minutes after little G.  He weighed four pounds.

Four pounds is actually a pretty good weight for a twin baby this pre-mature.  He immediately contracted pneumonia, and we all feared the worst.




He was so tiny, and kind of bruised up from the unorthodox birthing experience.





The nurses told us not to stroke his head, just press gently.  The pressure is supposed to remind him of being in the womb, "where he is supposed to be," one nurse commented. 




G, although only 3 pounds, 10 ounces at birth, was healthier from the get go.  She stayed in this "tent" for a while to maintain her temperature, but she gained weight much faster than her brother.




Only three pounds, and that girl had a big set of lungs!





Although I should have been completely wiped out from the ordeal, the adrenaline and God's grace took over.  I didn't feel much pain or exhaustion until a day or so after the surgery.  I was able to hold and love on my babies without the stress of pain.



And here is Danny, forever my family's greatest champion, holding his third daughter. 





This is a cherished picture.  The girls are so young here, and so in awe of the whole experience.  E is only three and a half, and Cubby has just turned two.  So yes, when the twins were born, we had a three year old, a  two year old, and two pre-mature infants.  Crazy.




Three weeks later....

The twins have grown and changed tremendously during their stay in the NICU. 





J.D. still has his feeding tube, but very soon it will be taken out, and he will take a bottle of milk. 





Only three weeks old, and G is already defined by her chubby cheeks.  Nothing made me happier in those days than those fat little cheeks.  We left the hospital after a 31 day stay in the NICU.  We brought the babies home and have struggled these past two years to balance the needs of our twin newborns with the needs of a our two older daughters.  Danny and I have felt like on most days we were barely surviving with his farm to manage, our house to keep clean and running, and six mouths to feed. 

Needless to say, I have looked forward to this day for the past two years. 




TWO YEARS LATER....

J.D. is a happy healthy toddler.  He loves his dad.  He loves his tools.  He loves his grandpas.  He gets mad when you take him away from something he is doing that he loves.  He enjoys playing rough and tumble with his big sisters.  And nothing makes him happier than a hose turned on.  He is our only boy and we love him dearly.




G is a now a fiesty, loving, laughing toddler.  She adores her older sisters, puts up with her brother, and basically has everyone in between charmed by her endearing cuteness.  She talks constantly and has a new word or two everyday.  She provides endless comic relief in our family, and demands plenty of cuddle time from me and Danny.  She is our third daughter, and we love her dearly.



And here they are.  My beautiful, hilarious, sometimes exasperating twins.  I can't imagine life without them.  They complete our family in a way I never would have dreamed.  What great wisdom God has in knowing what is best for a family!  You've come a long way from those days hooked up to monitors in the hospital, babies!  But look at you now!  Happy 2nd Birthday!!

No comments: