Monday, June 28, 2010

Fiesta! a.k.a. Breaking in the New Kitchen

I like to entertain.  I like the decorating, cooking, and preparing.  I like the way a house can become transformed through adding a colorful bouquet or a pretty tablecloth.  I don't pass up too many opportunities to gussy up the house. 

My kitchen remodeling project, however, put all of those fanciful ideas on hold.  I hosted only a handful of playdates during that entire five month remodeling period.  Forget about organizing and hosting a dinner, I barely scratched dinner together for my own little family most nights!

The much anticipated counter stools arrived late this last week, so I decided to host a little family dinner party for the twins' second birthday.  Because the party was so last minute, I used the decorations I had on hand, namely, Mexican blankets.  I bought colorful paper tableware and snipped some flowers from the yard for the main bouquet.

It worked!  And even though it wasn't the best decor for a couple of two year olds' birthdays, it all came together just fine.  Once Danny cut up the delicious Carne Asada, Susie unwrapped her savory cheese casserole, and mom pulled her beans out of the oven, the party got started.  Aunt Bette helped out with the salad, and mom also brought her version of Aunt Diane's homemade salsa.  I made three ice cream pies for the desserts and also whipped up a batch of the Pioneer Woman's guacamole.  Even though there was a wonderful array of food, the happy faces around the table and island made it a perfect party.   


The beautiful orange and yellow flowers sitting in the middle of the island are from my Mexican Bird of Paradise shrub in the backyard.  E had the brilliant idea to pick those for the center bouquet.  That girl has an eye for color!  




With all of its leaves, the dining room table is large enough to fit ten people!   




The buffet and new picture window in the background bring in so much light and help define the space. 





Emma helped decorate the kids' table.  She added a little Hawaiian flavor to the party (note the leis hanging from the chairs).  It works!




The peninsula between the dining room and kitchen now provides a handy place to serve drinks and snacks.  This is becoming a heavily used area!




Needless to say, in my eyes, the party was a huge success.  The kitchen has proven to be a warm and  welcoming place for our family, which in the end, was the ultimate goal.  

I think it is truly wonderful that we were able to mark the twins' second birthday, which was a huge milestone in their lives as preemie twins, with our first party in the kitchen.  I will remember this Sunday's celebration as a gigantic changing point in our lives.  With the new, welcoming, spacious kitchen and four happy, healthy children, I can only look forward to more wonderful memories created in this place that truly feels like home.  

No comments: