Monday, June 14, 2010

Now We're Cookin'!

Since February 4th of this year, my family has been without a kitchen.  Well, we've been without a conventional kitchen. 

You see, on February 4th, our kitchen was torn apart, demolished, and stripped down to the bare studs.  We watched as the contractors knocked out walls, moved plumbing, removed windows, tore out flooring, trashed old appliances, and ripped out the ceiling.  Over the last four months, we have observed with excitement and some trepidation, as the kitchen slowly assembled back into a functional space. 

During these past four months, we have dined using an outdoor kitchen.  Danny mounted folding tables all over our back porch and we swiftly covered them with boxes filled with kitchen "stuff." One of these kitchen tables magically transformed into our kitchen, and a microwave, toaster oven, and electric skillet became our best friends.  Actually, the microwave sort of beat the other two out for the top spot in my heart, but don't tell them I said so. 

It has taken until this last Friday, June 11th to get back into the kitchen to cook an actual meal.  Our trusty contractors, Mike and Luke, took off for the weekend, but before they left, they gave me the ok.  This ok was what I had been waiting to hear.  I almost trampled the kids trying to get out to the back porch to bring in the first junky box of dinner plates that was now covered with dust. 

All weekend long now, I have been cleaning, sorting, cutting Contac paper, and did I say cleaning?  Everything is dirty!  I have to wipe down the top to every box of food.  Every plate and glass needs a run through the dishwasher.  Ahh, what a wonderful word....dishwasher.  I like the way it sounds as it rolls off my tongue. 

I don't mind the work at all.  I guess my feet do hurt a little at the end of the day from walking around so much on these hard tile floors, but the beauty and convenience of the new kitchen and living space is always enough to make me smile. 

I also have two little helpers, ready to help me at the drop of a hat.  Little Cubby practically wakes up in the morning from a dead sleep asking, "Can we sort today?"  That girl loves her some sorting!

Four months seems like a long time without a kitchen, but we now have a lifetime to spend in the comfort and convenience of a new kitchen.  My cup runneth over!!

No comments: