Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sprinklers

When the sprinklers come on in most people's front yards, the grass gets watered.  When the sprinklers come on in my front yard, the grass gets watered and my kids go a little nuts. This is why we normally run the sprinklers at night. 

The other day I arrived home from a quick trip to my mom's with a fresh load of laundry and a car full of kids.  The sprinklers in the front yard were on, which only happens when Danny is working on the water lines.  Apparently Danny had turned the water on to check the line, and had forgotten to change it back to the night schedule. 

The kids saw the sprinklers and started screaming.  Screaming.  Laughing.  Pushing and twisting and yanking on their carseat buckles to get out and get in the water.  Three of my four ruffians tumbled from the car and ran straight into the spray.  My oldest, Huggy, would have nothing to do with it, and went about cutting flowers.  But my younger three had  the most wonderful time playing in the sprinklers in my front yard.  It doesn't get any more country-fide than this. 

First there was plenty of running and screaming in the spray.



Then there was crawling and sliding on the wet cement.



Then more running and scampering.



I love this shot, because Cubby so obviously loves the water spraying directly in her face.  But also, look at J.D. in the background, giving the water a major high five.



G felt the direct spray like this for probably fifteen solid minutes.  Ahhh....the little things.




J.D. is totally soaking wet here.  Poor little guy didn't care one bit.  He was completely at home in the dirty, wet, chaotic mess of the whole situation.



Cold and wet, but happy!



Joy in motion!



I wish I had a video of her belly laugh.  She was cracking up at J.D. getting sprayed in the face, and subsequently went to find out if it felt as funny as it looked.



Sweet little Cubby was dripping wet from head to toe.  But I love this shot of her rosy cold cheeks and drenched hair. 





Then G figured enough was enough and tried to turn the sprinklers off.  This didn't work.




So she gave up and had a drink.




Finally everybody got cold and soaked enough, especially our youngest Star Wars fan, to warrant a nice, warm bath.



And yes, that little rascal takes his hammer into the bath with him.  You never know when work needs to be done!

No comments: