Monday, May 31, 2010

Pie

Apple pie is an important ingredient for a successful Memorial Day celebration in my family.  Pie and homemade ice cream, that is.  Homemade ice cream from my Grandma S's treasured recipe.  This recipe has so much delicious milky goodness and just enough vanilla, that it is the absolute perfect partner to the Julian apple pie. 

Remember "Cake"?  "Cake" is the previous blog about how the twins can squirm their way into getting a bite of any body's piece of cake due to their undeniable cuteness.  Grandmas and grandpas are not immune to this phenomenon.  In fact, some grandmas actually encourage the twins to eat as much sweet goodness in their presence as humanly possible!  That's not totally true.  However, the twins know they can come up to certain grandmas with their mouths open in a wide O, and they will most assuredly get a spoonful of grandma's food.

Observe.
This is actually a bowl Grandma D specifically brought out just for the babies to share.  This is totally legal activity.





This is also totally legal activity.  Little G is enjoying her red bowl of ice cream, and is neatly using her spoon all by herself to take bites. 





Uh oh.  Little G still has her little red bowl, but that is somehow not enough.  She now wants a spoonful of Grandma's ice cream.  Grandma is all too happy to oblige. 




Then J.D., noticing how simple it is to pilfer from his own kin, steps up to Grandma's bowl.  Without giving her any sort of warning, he just dips his spoon right into the ice cream.  You can see that Grandma D has to laugh.  She knows she's created this madness. 




After getting all the good stuff from Grandma, J.D. moves right on over to Grandpa.  Again, no hesitation here; his spoon just goes right on into someone else's bowl. 




J.D. and Grandpa bond over their shared love of all things cold and creamy.



At this point, I had completely held off from enjoying any of the dessert myself.  I remembered my vow with my weight-loss group: no sweets for 7 days!  I signed my name on the dotted line, I made a vow to stick with this goal for the entire week.  I knew I could do it; I mean, I could have apple pie any old time I came back to Julian.  But homemade ice cream doesn't come along very often.

I looked around and I noticed Cubby enjoying her sweet treat.





Then I saw E happily spooning in bite after bite of her pie and ice cream.




Again I observed Cubby, now lounging by her dad, gobbling up the goodies.




Finally, I had to laugh when I noticed J.D. drop a small spoonful onto the grass, then immediately bend down to eat it off the grass with his hands.  Never mind the bugs, or the possibility of chowing on poisonous mushrooms, that boy was into that ice cream!




So I gave in. 
I actually didn't eat the pie, just the ice cream. Then I gave the pie to one of the many grubby kids surrounding me while I enjoyed every last lick of the delicious, creamy, heaven-sent ice cream.

1 comment:

lukehamby said...

Oh April, that last picture just SPEAKS to me! Few things in this life can top hot, fresh Julian apple pie and homemade vanilla ice cream. I'm not even hungry and I'm salivating :(