Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Kitchen Update....Could We Be a Week Away From Cooking Indoors?

Our kitchen project is really moving along.  And as the hot weather rapidly approaches, this couldn't be happening at a better time.  We've been cooking (which is a very fancy word for microwaving) outside and existing on pre-sliced, pre-cooked, pre -washed everything since February 4th.  I am ready to cook.  I am itching to make some delicious chicken tortilla soup, toss a fresh salad with (gasp!) fresh vegetables, and (double gasp!) homemade dressing. 

I have been psyched all along for my wretched carpet to get ripped out.  In fact, I have been more than ready to do the ripping all by myself.  With my bare hands.  This carpet is only six years old, but it looks like it's been here since the Korean War, and that the soldiers from this war lived on it for months on end, and didn't believe in bathing.  You get my point.  Every leaky sippy, every muddy shoe, every dropped raspberry has been cherished by this carpet.  It's as if this carpet seeks out dirt and holds onto it with every fiber.  Literally. Every fiber. 

I bought a carpet steamcleaner about a year ago, since the professional carpet cleaners couldn't keep up with the stains since I only called them every six months.  I swear I heard the carpet cracking up when it saw the carpet cleaner.  "You're kidding, right? That Costco special is no match for me.  Wooohoooohahahaha."  That last part is the carpet laughing maliciously at my expense.  Whatever, it's late.

So the day the flooring guys came to rip out this carpet was a memorable day for me.  You know how everyone remembers where they were when Lady Di died in that horrible car accident? (By the way, I was at Campland with my parents in theThornburg's trailer and heard it on the radio.) Well, I will always remember the day that disgusting excuse for a floor covering was hauled out of my house.  I may have cried tears of joy. 

Oh, to see that there was something clean underneath that filthy mess, made my heart sing.


Here's the floor after the backerboard and mud.




Ta-Da!  This tile is wonderful, beautiful, but more imporantly, a snap to clean.  When I first walked into the room, I silently screamed for joy into my closed fist, then smiled at it lovingly and said, "Welcome to our home marvelous tile.  We've been expecting you."



The kids were excited about the tile too.  Not really, they just thought it was fun to have yet another picnic for dinner in the backyard.  Hey, you know I can't resist sticking a picture of my four adorable kids in here, right?!




About a week later, it was time for the countertops to go in. 

Our trusty contractors, Luke and Mike, installed the plywood, straightened out the uneven surfaces, and ate some breakfast burritos.



Today the countertops were installed.  I can't be more pleased, they are perfect.



Plywood before.....



....countertop after.




Plywood before....




.....countertop after.




It's been a little painful to watch J.D. during this kitchen remodel process. The little guy wants to help out so bad, but there's only so much a play drill and plastic screwdriver can do.  He sometimes tries to hang out with the guys and tell jokes, but they don't get 23 month old humor, and thank goodness, he certainly can't follow adult humor.  So, he ends up standing along the edges of the work area, drill in hand, just waiting for an opportunity to pitch in.  Don't worry J.D., your time is definitely coming!  As is our kitchen, only a few weeks to go.  Mmmmm..... I can already smell that tortilla soup!

No comments: