Monday, January 25, 2010

Sleep Deprivation and Dieting Don't Mix

Last Friday afternoon, little G spiked a fever of 102, and since she'd been battling a cough and congestion for the two weeks prior to Friday, I prayed her cold hadn't developed into an infection. I should know by now that this is a pattern for my kids: get sick, stay sick for a few weeks, sickness gets worse, fever spikes, and an infection creeps in. Poor J.D. suffered from an ear infection after following this exact same pattern just two weeks ago.

So today, my heavenly pediatrician, whom I will not name, since I want to hoard him all to myself, and his office is already getting a bit to busy for my taste, checked little G out, and yep, she had a pretty severe ear infection in her right ear. Clara and I ran over to Wal-Mart to get the prescription, which, as a side note, will be my last trip to Wal-Mart for prescriptions, since the pharmacist tried to give me the WRONG medicine for my 19 month old baby! Needless to say, I am just glad I happened to be paying attention when he tried to hand it over, since the medicine wasn't the right color.

This weekend was extremely tough. So tough, it reminded Danny and I of our first six months or so with the twins. It took us to a whole new level of fatigue, anxiety, and frustration. Taking care of four little kids is challenging enough, but to add a sick one to the batch, really turns up the heat. So anyway, ever since Friday night, little G could not sleep. She just wanted to be up. And held. And preferably rocked. By me. I had a tough time that first night, and Danny and I tag-teamed it pretty well. The second night was a nightmare because she would wake up screaming, and we had no idea what was wrong. Finally, we thought, she could be in a pain, let's give her some ibuprofen. That helped calm down the screaming, but it didn't do much to get her to go to bed. She wanted to sleep right between us in bed, with her two little sweaty hands resting on me and Danny. She would wake up coughing and gagging, it was terrible.

So Friday and Saturday night were pretty much the same. Danny and I took turns holding her, calming her, staying up with her. On Sunday, while at my mom's having dinner, my lovely sister offered her baby swing, and I brushed it off, like we don't need that. I totally missed Danny's look of, Oh yes we do!! So, pretty much, Danny had to drive over to my sister and her hubby's house at 10:00 PM on Sunday night to haul the baby swing over to our house (yes, I had a baby swing, but gave it away a few months ago since it couldn't swing anymore under the girth of Queen G). Well, this baby swing was bigger and better than my old swing, and G slept for a full hour in it, before waking up and........screaming. It was another terrible night.

What is so amazing about all of this, is that Friday is the day I started my big awesome diet. I know that the lower calorie, healthier foods and smaller portions I've been eating are good for me. But see, in the past, when I was suffering from lack of sleep and exhaustion, I would eat something high in sugar or carbs to give myself a little boost to make it through that moment. Well, I can't do that anymore. Today I had a red bell pepper for a snack. Yep, that's what I have to look forward to. I dipped the pieces in hummus, but still, it's no donut.

I am happy to report that despite the massive sleep deprivation I have endured that last three nights, I have completely stuck to my diet, and already feel much better, just pretty darn tired. I am going to go now and pray for sleep.

No comments: