Saturday, November 19, 2011

Seven Years with Emma

Just prior to every birthday that rolls around in my household I now regularly become super nostalgic and sappy.  I don't like the kids getting older.  Time is passing way too fast in my opinion.  I used to get so annoyed when people would urge me to enjoy every second with my kids.  They'd always say things like, "They don't stay young forever," and all that type of stuff. It's now me telling people with little babies, "Time goes so fast, enjoy every moment.  You won't believe how fast they change and grow."  It's so painfully true!

My oldest daughter, Emma, just turned seven years old today.  I can hardly believe it.  It seems like just yesterday that Danny and I walked through those hospital doors and I gave birth to that beautiful girl.  She was a gorgeous, healthy 8 pound baby.  She kept me awake those first two nights with a backwards schedule, but once she accepted that heaven sent creation of a pacifier, life smoothed out into a fairly consistent new baby routine.  She grew quickly, walked at 10 months, spoke early (and often), and had just about everyone wrapped around her finger.  At 17 months old, her baby sister, Cubby was born, forever changing the dynamic of her brief life as an only child.

She has grown and changed each passing year into a lovelier and more wonderful child.  God couldn't have given me a more wonderful gift than my four children, that is for certain!  Always a sensitive child, and a mommy's girl to boot, entering school was no easy feat for little Emma. We entered her in Green's Kiddie Pre-School at just 2 years old, which she reluctantly adjusted to after a few months of class.  She soon grew to love Mrs. Green and looked forward to attending her two day per week classes.  A year of kindergarten came and went with new friends, a beloved teacher, and a few more stumbling blocks.  The next year of homeschool proved a good fit for our darling girl, and her schooling has only improved in the past two years.

Her singing talent, which we believe is a clear gift from God, is her great joy.  She has sung ever since she was a small child.  I remember driving in the car, with Disney Princess songs or nursery rhymes blasting from the CD player, while Emma belted out each and every lyric.  Always on tune, always the right words.  She had an early knack for learning the words quickly and easily and it was only until later that we realized that her vibrato was not a show, that's really how she sings!

Emma is a true romantic at heart.  I have been so looking forward to watching Anne of Green Gables with the girls.  This movie is a classic for me, since as a little girl I watched longingly as Anne fell in love with Gilbert in the romantic setting of Prince Edward Island.  We just wrapped up the first half of the mini-series last night, with a scene that culminated in (finally!) a kissing scene between Anne and Gilbert.  I looked out of the corner of my eye at Emma to watch her reaction to this show of love.  She had curled herself up into a ball, and had covered her eyes and ears with her arms.  I could see, however, through the tangle of little girl limbs, to the huge smile on her face.  Once the scene was over, I asked her why she'd covered up and not watched the happy scene.  "It's just too much, mommy," she said, "It's just too happy."  She has always done this, she covers her face when the emotions are running too high.  Danny and I believe it is because her sensitivities run so strong.  She can't watch a scary movie or even read a frightening story.  Her nightmares are all too real for her wild imagination.  Her romantic, imaginative and sometimes naive little heart can't yet handle the realities of this world.  Not just yet.

I could go on and on with stories about our sweet girl.  Just suffice it to say that she is a blessing to us, a gift from God that we pray we will never take for granted.  We just want to have the wisdom to raise her in the way God would have us bring her up.  She is so precious!  Let me just leave you with a couple of my favorite Emma pictures:

This is Emma one year ago, when she had just turned six years old.  She is enjoying our newly remodeled kitchen.



My mom set up a doll dress up party, complete with a runway, lunch for all adults involved (yes, we invited guests: Grandma Susie and Aunt Ayron), and fashion show.  It was the highlight of Emma's life for a month or so.



Painting outside is so much fun!




Emma has gotten to be an old pro at losing teeth.  She now coaches her younger sister on proper teeth loosing technique.



And here she is today at her 7th birthday party.  She wore her gorgeous Purity Ball dress again, and fully enjoyed each and every guest, morsel of food and of course all the gifts.  She made me so proud!



Here's a picture of Emma reading a book that she wrote to the twins.  This is probably a year ago or so.  Emma is growing into a wonderful, caring and guiding sibling.  She is seeing her role as the oldest child as a privilege and an honor.  She wants to now take care of the younger ones more than she wants to boss them around....most of the time anyway.




Horseback riding in Julian brought out a whole lot of smiles!




Our little cowgirl loves to get all glammed up for just about any event.  




We had many adventures this last summer, and exploring the Rueben H. Fleet Museum in San Diego was one of the more educational.  She loved crawling through this tunnel!  

We love you so much Emma, and we are proud and honored to call you our daughter.  Happy Birthday to you, sweet girl!

No comments: