Sunday, November 6, 2011

Back at the Gym

For those of you that don't know, I have given birth three times.  My first two girls were born naturally, with a hefty epidural, of course.  Both labor experiences were pretty textbook, I was told.  My recovery time was typical, back on my feet the next day.   After about six weeks or so, I felt like myself again, pretty much.  Now, the twins were born via emergency C-section three and a half years ago.  The recovery time on that was pretty lengthy.  I had never had to deal with that kind of pain before.  The incision was gruesome, the pain extreme, and on top of that, I developed mastitis, a very painful infection in my right breast.  During those first few weeks of the twins' lives, I was a physical and emotional wreck.

Now today, after my second workout with trainer Robert,  I am again, a physical wreck.  I took about 2 and a half weeks off while his wife had a baby and I recovered from sinusitis.  I just followed my doctor's orders to stay away from any intense exercise since the antibiotic he prescribed me could cause tendonitis. So, during that two week hiatus, I didn't eat too well, and I definitely didn't work out one bit.  And yes, I gained a couple of pounds back too.  I basically became a softy again.  Bad move.  Very bad move.

Yesterday morning I met with Robert at the gym to get another session in before Cattle Call week started, the week of painted on jeans!  Apparently it is for some people at least, but not so in my case....yet!  Anyway, that was the hardest workout so far, including the six weeks before my illness.  Today, I am so sore,  I can barely walk.  Actually, I can walk, I just look like a cowboy who's been riding the range for a week.  My back and legs ache, my arms feel sore, even my rear end screams at me when I want to sit down.  So I had to give you that little blurb on my three childbirth experiences with pain up at the top so that I can explain to you that today is my fourth most painful physical experience of my life.  And I have just one person to thank for it.  Hopefully I will be free from soreness by tomorrow so I can get some more exercise in.  Then again....I better not push it....painted on jeans are a bit overrated, don't you think?

No comments: