Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer Vacation...Walker Style

This blog will not include any uploaded photos.  I just wanted to forewarn anyone who prefers to glance at my blog once in a while for the photos only.  I understand all of you not interested in every aspect of the Walker family's daily life enough to read about it all the time!

You see, I am on vacation in the mountains.  My parents' cabin is technologically stuck in well, rustic mountain living time, and does not have internet, or phone access.  So here I sit.  Here I sit at the local pie shop that supplies free high speed internet access.  Ah....free Wi-Fi.  Sorry, that hot chocolate I just downed, along with my half eaten wonder bar have me pretty high in the sky right now!  

I am not supposed to be on vacation in the mountains right now.  Since late May, I had planned to be at the beach with my sister and her two year old daughter, Ellie.  Danny and I took off from the mountains on the fourth of July, the kids singing happily, Danny and I eager to get there and start relaxing, or rather, dream of relaxing, since that doesn't happen in reality with four under five.  Anyway, we left the cool 74 degree breezy weather of the mountains for a cold, overcast and rainy day at the beach.  We unloaded the car, got settled, and Danny and Uncle John drove for home.  The working men had to get back to their respective ranches to bring in the bacon for me and my vacationing sister!  

So Ayron and I were left at the beach with five kids under five.  We were mildly concerned about the damp weather, but we were convinced that it was a fluke.  So we made plans for the next day to keep the kids busy playing outside and enjoying the sights and fun of the beach in July.  That's not what happened.  The next morning was spent shopping for cold weather gear at the nearby outlet mall.  Sweaters and sweatpants and properly fitting shoes were bought for all.  The rain started the next morning, and after two nights of very little sleep, I was recalling the breezy warmth of the mountain cabin.  The kids and I were packed up and in the car in about an hour.   Ayron and her own little E stayed on at the beach, since her hubby was returning early from ranch work.  They enjoyed their time, and despite the weather, had fun at the amusement parks nearby.

We arrived back at the mountains at around noon that day.  The fluttering leaves on the trees greeted us.  The kids tumbled from the car in jubilee at the fine weather.  This morning the munchkins woke early, as farmers' kids do, and after a hearty meal of waffles and eggs, we set out for the lake to take a hike.  

Here are the highlights of our morning:

1.  The hike was shady and cool. 

2.  The girls sang songs and played "password" as we walked.  They don't know this, but I insisted on the singing to scare away snakes. 

3.  Instead of hiking, the babies threw rocks and drenched themselves with water from the drinking fountain.

4.  The grilled cheese sandwiches were a big hit.   

5.  The ducks were more than happy to eat our offerings of corn and soggy french fries.  

6.  Once back at the cabin, the most coveted seat at the house was most definitely the hammock.  The girls won.  


Anyway, I have to say, how lucky am I that when one vacation spot simply doesn't meet out every need, we can pick up and go to a second, just as wonderful vacation spot, free of charge?  Also, I need to mention that my mom came along to help me.  Otherwise I'd be back in the heat of the Valley, yearning to get back into any other weather, even rain at the beach.   

No comments: