Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Day J.D. Caved

It finally happened today.

Today was the day I have been waiting for since the babies' birthday over two years ago.  

Now I am going to build up the suspense a little. 

OK, I have three girls.  My two older girls are really into dress-up.  Like so into dress-up that they have been known to walk into Vons wearing princess dresses, high-heeled sparkly shoes, crowns, purses, jewelry, and think nothing of it.  They prefer dress-up to normal clothes.  My oldest, Emma, after a full day of kindergarten, would strip down only to don her favorite red gaudy queen gown and prance around the house for the rest of the evening.  

We have a drawer dedicated only to dress-up shoes.

We have a drawer dedicated only to dress-up headgear: hats, tiaras, silly headbands, you name it.

So all this time, I have known that eventually, their little sister, G, would want to get involved in this addicting pastime.  And in the last few weeks she entered the world of dress-up and never looked back.  Little G prefers Little House on the Prairie dresses over the straight-up princess garb that her big sister E chooses.  

Anyway, the point of all of my rambling is that I have a lone boy.  From 5:45 AM when Danny leaves until 5:30 PM when he returns home (albeit with a nice sized lunch break in the middle), J.D. is solo amidst a sea of estrogen in our home.  He handles it pretty well, I think.  He wakes up by literally wailing for his dad.  One of the first sounds I hear in the morning is, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-dee!" from little J.D.  He always looks kind of disappointed when I walk in, which bugs me a a little.  I feel like saying, "Hey kid, I don't want to change this dirty diaper either!"  J.D. prefers his dad, tools, the grandpas, and tractors to pretty much everything else in this world.  He is male, and that's the way it is.  

For two solid years, my lone boy has not shown one inkling of interest in dress-up.  Not one sparkly hat has been placed upon his head that he hasn't ripped off immediately.  Not once has he allowed a single scarf to wrap around his shoulders, or a dress to be draped upon his shoulders.  No sir, he is a boy.  A boy who likes tools.  Got it?!

Well today was the day.  

Today was the day he caved.  

The girls finally succeeded in their plot to dress-up their entire family.  



Was it the pink sequins that pulled him in?  Or maybe the page boy cap?  Perhaps he thought, "The cap seems like something a boy would wear, but the sequins, I'm not so sure....." But before he could protest, the girls had fitted it onto his head, and led him out to his parents to be paraded about like a monkey in a suit.







The girls could not have been more proud of their feat.  It was quite an accomplishment.  Can you hear me chuckling behind the camera?  Can you picture Danny doubled over, trying to hide the laughter from his dear son? 







And then there appeared to be a wardrobe malfunction.  G was thoroughly embarrassed by this show of anger in public, Cubby remained full of glee, and J.D. made his demands....








And there, now he's happy.  All the boy wanted was his pink Dora sunglasses for Pete's sake!  Whew!  Crisis averted.  Or was it?

No comments: