Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Stand....Here We Come!

In just six days, my family will host our 2nd annual cinnamon roll and hot chocolate stand.  This was Emma's idea last year when she begged me for a lemonade stand, and I, not wanting to stand out there in the hot sun, convinced her that the winter would be a much more profitable season here in the desert.   We decided last year to give all the proceeds from the "sale" to an international ministry called World Vision.  

Every year, World Vision sends out the coolest gift catalog.  It has pictures of a variety of farm animals (or "beasts of burden" if you are my husband) pictured, along with a price, and a description of how that animal can be of use to a family in a third world country.  For example, a pig costs $195.  That sow can produce as many as 20 piglets in a year.  As the catalog points out, "within 6 months, each of those piglets can weigh 200 pounds and fetch a hefty price at market.  The income can be used for children's education, medicines, and other essentials." Two chickens cost $25, a goat is $75, a dairy cow is $500, and so on.  Last year, the girls made over $350, in mostly loose change, since that's what we encourage people to donate.  We had the most fun picking out the animals for people.  We even had enough money leftover to begin sponsoring a child.  

Out of all the parties, concerts and programs we attended last year, the hot chocolate stand was by far the girls' favorite event.  They talked about it endlessly.  Earlier this fall, when the stores first became decorated for the Christmas season, the girls began asking excitedly if we were going to have the stand again.  It wasn't really even a question.  The fellowship with our neighbors and then the giving experience was one of those things that, for us, helped define the reason for the season.  


 
We set up the stand early in the morning and used the tent since the forecast called for a slight chance of rain.  The gorgeous, overcast and chilly day only added to the fun of the experience for  the girls.  See their outfits?  They are always, and I mean ALWAYS ready for cold weather gear.  


So, now to the point.  I spent my whole afternoon today baking cinnamon rolls in preparation for our next stand this coming Saturday.  My sister came over after church, and we stirred dough, melted butter, and sprinkled enough cinnamon and sugar to make Paula Deen very proud.  Ayron and I had so much fun.  This is when a kitchen with a large work surface really helps!  We baked 100 rolls from scratch!   

Here are the rolls just before I put them in the oven. 




I checked those puppies often!  No one wants burned rolls, I know that much!




This is me stirring the outrageously good icing.  Coffee + powdered sugar + maple flavoring = heaven sent flavor.  Seriously.  The best thing on the planet. 



Yay!  Look at those adorable little pans, all ready for eating!





Drizzling icing....




Oh, sweet home Alabama!




100 rolls ready for eating!!  



Oh, the pictures could go on and on.  I went on a little hay day with the camera here.  




Doesn't that look fantastic!?  Wait!  Is there a roll missing??  Now who on earth would eat one right out of the pan?  I'll bet I know the culprit. 



Ok, seriously, I'll stop the photos.  Just believe me when I say that this will be one of the best rolls you'll ever have in your life.  Seriously delicious.  I hope to see each and every one of you at the stand in my front yard, next Saturday from 9 until 11 AM.  Bring your loose change, or even a dollar bill or two!  

No comments: