Friday, December 16, 2011

Calling in Reinforcements

I know when I get too busy.  It always happens around the holidays.  Like most busy moms, I usually overbook events, cooking, and other irresistible fun things during Christmas time.  This week, I knew I needed help early on since the Cinnamon Roll Stand was coming up.  So I did the only sensible thing.  I called up my family to come over and help.  My big sister, Ayron, came over early in the week and helped me make the first 100 rolls.  We buttered, mixed, sprinkled, buttered, rolled, baked,  then buttered some more.  It was a sweet, buttery masterpiece by the time we finished.

Well, the work wasn't over!  I wanted to make 50 more rolls. I sort of manipulated my mom into helping me by pushing what a great skill it would be for her to make cinnamon rolls from scratch.  The evil plot worked!  She came over yesterday morning and helped immensely.  Now my mom is one of those women who can grab a few ingredients and whip out a golden, buttery pie crust while I am still busy studying the recipe.  She just has that natural skill.  I had not realized how handy her ability would be for cinnamon roll making!  I have gotten better and better at cinnamon roll making, but my dough is not a strong suit.  It tastes good, but it looks pretty bad.  Sometimes I imagine the dough as a rebellious teenager that is just laughing rudely at me as it cracks, sticks to the surface, and refuses to take the shape I want.  My mom took that dough, and before it knew what had happened, she slapped it on the counter, and rolled out the most gorgeous 30 x 10 inch rectangle I'd ever seen!  I didn't get anymore lip from the dough after that.  


She handles that rolling pin like a samurai holds his sword.  It's a weapon, and she's not afraid to use it.




Just like Julia Child, I'm telling you!




So she stayed busy while I took a few pictures, then went and watched a Christmas movie.  Just kidding, I pitched in...with the dishes.


Cooking isn't my only big chore, now we move on to stamping and addressing Christmas cards!

My need for reinforcements moved on to the Christmas cards!  While I wrote out the addresses, the girls stamped, stuffed, and licked.  We were an unstoppable force!



 This morning, I recruited the girls to help me with more cooking....
Cubby counts out and then unwraps caramels...



...while looking super cute.  




Emma, who is still growing out her bangs (this is going to take forever!), helped me a ton by peeling carrots.  Peeling carrots is a job everyone fights over, for some reason, despite the bloody knuckles that almost always results.



Aahhh....my little team of workers makes my life so much easier, and fun!




Then it was craft time!  I love going to Michael's craft store at the end of each holiday and picking up all the leftover craft kits.  I box them, then pull them out the next year and it's like brand new crafts at clearance prices!  



That's not the greatest way to hold a glue stick, J.D.  Oh well.  I better go check the cooking and not worry!  Thanks to you, reinforcement team, I finished all of my work today!  In just a few hours, the Cinnamon Roll Stand will open, and we are more than ready!! 

No comments: