Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sick Day

When one person gets sick around here, the inevitable always happens.  Everyone gets sick.  And depending on the severity of the illness, these bouts usually last an incredibly long time.  I guess the illness has to work its way through everyone, so it takes 6 times as long to cure!  

About 5 weeks ago, I came down with a hacking cough which quickly morphed into a headache inducing sinus infection.  I took one day off of working out for this illness, on the day I thought my head would explode.  Then I went to a session with my trainer when I clearly wasn't over it, mainly to see if he thought I should just skip out on eating in the Zone and take a break from working out for a while.  That was not a go.  He was also pretty unhappy about my four day break from my food diary.  Then I even asked the nurse practitioner who prescribed my antibiotics if I should take a break from exercise.  That also was a no go.  Are those two guys in cahoots?!  

Anyway, the workouts have continued, and I still have the cough and chest congestion.  Believe it or not, I am supposed to get a CT Scan to figure out if the shape of my nasal cavities is a breeding ground for mucus.  Gross, I know.  Sorry.  I have procrastinating on this one for a few weeks.  I know i need to make an appointment for the ear, nose, and throat doctor, but I have so many other things to do!

Today, right after my extreme workout of believe it or not, only 12 minutes, I started coughing and couldn't stop.  "You still have that?" my trainer asked.  Yup, still got it.  

Then the kids got it.  A couple of weeks after my cold began, J.D. started coughing, then Gigi, then Cubby.  After a lengthy checkout by our beloved pediatrician, we discovered that J.D. had a serious left ear infection, sinusitis, and with a 102 degree temperature, possibly the flu.  Gigi and Cubby also had sinusitis and a touch of bronchitis, the doctor thought.  That evening, after the doctor's appointment, everyone was exhausted, including me.  I didn't feel like cooking up a hot meal that my sick kids would surely refuse to eat.  So I cheated...

...with breakfast for dinner.  These pancakes were just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.  The kids never realized that I packed the batter full of two heaping scoops of vanilla whey protein powder!  I piled their plates high with strawberries, and dribbled plenty of syrup.  This plate shown is Danny's.  I also had pancakes, but my syrup was basically invisible.  I also added a few strips of turkey bacon to mine and Danny's plates.  Yum!



The kids were happy.




Happy enough to ignore their utensils.  




Poor little J.D., who hadn't had much of an appetite all day, downed his pancakes with fervor.  You're eating a ton of protein right now, buddy!




Right after breakfast, I mean dinner, one of the girls discovered their tuckered out little brother asleep on the couch.  Probably passed out from the sweet goodness of dinner!




Little sister Gigi, I mean Doctor Gigi, checked on the patient multiple times.  




I love this picture, with her little doctor headband on.  It's like she's studying up for an exam, or writing a prescription.  Maybe we'll be able to show this to her later on when she has graduated from medical school and we can say, "Look!  You had such an early interest in medicine!"



Or maybe we'll show her this one.  Gigi could easily be a fireman.  With her fiery personality and sometimes hot-headed temperament, a firehouse might just be where she belongs!  Too cute!  
We are still not 100% over here, but we are on the mend, thanks to plenty of antibiotics, a humidifier, and plenty of protein pancakes!

No comments: