Sunday, October 2, 2011

Danny's Day

A few weeks ago, I asked my sweet hubby what he wanted to do for his birthday.  He answered with what has now become a tradition with, "A family desert ride culminating in dinner at Camacho's (a favorite mexican food restaurant just south west of El Centro)."  Danny planned out the ride by calling the family, and it seemed as if the ride was a go.  His greatest desire was for all four kids to ride along in the jeeps, play in he sand at various stops and enjoy the desert adventure.  

But the best laid plans changed, as they often do.  His birthday, which was yesterday, was a hot, hot day.  The kids interest in the ride evaporated with the rising sun.  His dream was deteriorating, and he was about to call it quits.  After talking it over for a bit, we decided that the long, five hour drive probably wasn't the best idea for the kiddos anyway, and dinner at Camacho's was fun, but the drive was far, and the kids usually got pretty antsy at restaurants.  So, I volunteered to make dinner, and the ride was shortened to just two hours.  The kids got on board with the new plan, after a stern talking to.  I think my exact words were, "This is Daddy's day, and we are  going to do whatever he wants with a smile on our faces! .....or else."  

Here's the whole gang, all smiles, heading out to the desert yesterday afternoon.  The kids are covered in sunblock, but are totally excited about the adventure.  My dad is on the far left, then Danny, Uncle Chris next, and "Uncle" Luke on the far right with J.D.  This looks very promising! 



The twins rode with Daddy and Uncle Chris.  After the ride, I heard they loved the bumps, and screamed and squealed with glee.  Gigi slid down a massive sand hill on her bottom, resulting in quite a sandy shower experience later that night!  J.D. is in absolute heaven.  His smile cannot get any bigger.



The girls rode with my dad and Luke in my dad's new toy.  


As for me, no, I didn't go on the Jeep ride.  I stayed home and had THREE AND A HALF HOURS on my own in the house without a soul.  At first it was eerie, but I quickly got over that and fully enjoyed the free time.  Think movie, hot tea, bubble bath, and then I got to work making meatballs and marinara sauce for Danny's birthday dinner.  Heaven!


When they returned home, the kids were tired, but happy.  They loved the desert!  But more than that, I think they loved their dad even more for taking them along.  We ate a family dinner of my homemade meatballs and sauce, Grandma Susie's delicious salad, garlic bread and my mom's yummy squash.  Danny's requested meal was a hit with kids and adults alike.  

On to the presents....

Apparently Daddy needed a lot of assistance, or should I say assistants, when opening his gifts!




A sweet moment....




Luke went all out with Danny's favorite gift of the night, a shop vac!!  Yep, that's a friend who truly knows us!



J.D. and Grandpa Jim decided to try it out as a telephone.




Cake time!  Luke played Happy Birthday while we sang. 




I think that may be 45 candles!!




Again, the kids gathered around to give Daddy a hand with the cake blow!




It was a very special, memorable evening.  Danny is now halfway through his 40s and life is so good.  Happy Birthday, Danny!

No comments: