Monday, October 10, 2011

Aunt Diane's 70th Birthday Party!

My mom is one of five siblings.  The four sisters are very close, vacationing together, and planning regular dinners out.  My mom's oldest sister, my Aunt Diane, just turned 70 years old.  It's so hard for me to believe that someone like my Aunt Di, which such charisma, vibrancy and energy is 70.  Her approach to that decade has made me re-define how I think about the 70s.  I remember when I thought 40 was old!  I definitely don't think that anymore, having a 45 year old husband and all!  Aunt Diane is one of those rare people with an eternal positive spirit, a spirit bound solidly in her steadfast faith in God and a deep love for her family and friends. 

A few months ago, as her milestone birthday approached, my aunts and mom all convened to start planning a be-boppin' super cool 1950s themed party.  I think my sister Ayron immediately went online and ordered the cutest poodle skirted outfit out there as soon as the theme was revealed.  Anyway, the clock was ticking, and the aunts got to work on putting together an unforgettable evening for their dear sister.  Decorations and costumes were ordered.  The song list was carefully organized.  A program was planned, and invitations were sent out.  

My mom and dad hosted the party at their house, and after quite a bit of post-summer yard work, the yard looked amazing.  On the morning of the party, Ayron and I went over to the house, and decorated, taped, blew up balloons.  Without our kids around to help us filter our language into mature verbage, my time with Ayron basically reverted right back to the roots of childhood.   Ayron teased and insulted, and I laughed and attempted to verbally get her back.  That wasn't happening, she's way to quick for me, but it was fun, and nostalgic to try.  

The party was a wonderful success. Most of the family came, including a few surprise visitors.  The food was delicious, reminiscent of a '50s diner.  The evening couldn't have been more beautiful. The breeze kept the air cool, and the sunset was glorious.  

I have a few pictures to share with you.  I hope you enjoy stepping back in time to the 1950s!

Here is my Aunt Di who was easily the most beautiful and fun dressed person at the party!  Happy Birthday to you Di!


My little family, minus the crazy twins, arrived in our finest 50s duds.  The girls and I are matchy-matchy in our pink and black poodle skirted outfits.  Danny is a 50s era biker, like Marlon Brando in The Wild One.  He said almost no one knew who he was.  Most people came up and said, "Great costume!  What are you?"



The girls are THRILLED about the costume party!



I loved the checkered cake alongside the adorable invitation.  



See? Isn't Ayron adorable?  I am trying to be authentic in my tennis shoes and bobby socks, but she chose a little more wisely in her chic silver ballet slippers. We had so much fun that night!




Dad looked so handsome in his white jacket and pink carnation.  And yes, I caught him singing that song multiple times throughout the night.



Cubby was super excited about these sweet 50s specs.  She and Emma wore theirs almost all night.




My mom and dad are now hooked on costume parties.  They loved dressing up!  Who knew?!




Here is my Aunt Di next to her prom queen picture and just behind her is the original prom dress that she wore!  




The girls, along with their cousin, sang, "How Much Is That Doggy in the Window?" They sang all four verses, and Cubby's "arf-arf" was perfect!!



And here are the four sisters!  My now super-fit Aunt Lynn is there on the far left, then the birthday girl, my adorable mom, and sweet Aunt Bette on the far right.  



Here's Aunt Di with her three children, as well as her three grandchildren.  This was one of the sweetest moments of the party.  Diane's children each gave heartfelt, loving speeches of love and appreciation for their mom.  They told stories about her loving, generous spirit, which permeated their lives as children and on into adulthood.  After their speeches, Diane told everyone how her faith in God has helped her maintain such an attitude of joy despite a life with both happiness and pain.  Her words were so clear and beautiful.  Life without God is not even half a life.  She gave her life to the Lord as a young child and told herself she would live her life to serve God.  She is such an inspiration to me!




The girls had a great time at the party.  Right around 8:00 PM, their coach had turned into a pumpkin.  With tears in their tired eyes, they headed home, and slept hard all night.  They loved being 50s girls for the night.  What a wonderful event, a celebration worth every minute of preparation.  Seeing the smile on Aunt Diane's face throughout the party reminded me how much family means to me, how much love is present in my life, and how blessed I am to have been born into this family.  

No comments: