Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Earthquake Did It

Mexicali shook with the effects of a 7.2 earthquake this Sunday. The quake itself and the aftershocks rocked our world just north of the border that day, night, and the following day. We had a few trinkets fall from the shelves in the kids' rooms, but overall our house was untouched.

Some of my friends weren't so lucky. They posted pictures of pantries with all the food spilling onto the floor, cracked walls, and pools with water splashing out. Older homes in the area were the most effected. One guy lost a brick chimney, and stone walls around town fell down. This earthquake was really something.

Actually, let me re-think this.

Let me start over.

The shaking really did a number on my kitchen.... I mean, check it out!


Terrible, right?! Who would choose to live like this? For 3 months? With only a microwave and toaster oven? It's GOT to be earthquake damage.





But, alas, no, this is our own doing. We have been living like this since early February. The earthquake had nothing to do with it.




We are lucky to have that extra freezer on the right, since all we do is microwave the heck out of any frozen food item before we eat it. Our only saving grace at this point is that the weather has been awesome. The recent dust storm was kind of tough. But, if this were the middle of summer no one would be seeing these pictures, since I would have gone crazy and smashed my camera into the burning hot cement.




Yeah, it's pretty messy out there, and I really wish I could just blame the whole thing on the quake. One good thing about this situation is that seeing all this junk lying out there for all to see has made me pretty ruthless about getting rid of as much of it as possible. Overflowing trashcans are also quite commonplace. A lovely image, I know.

No comments: