Thursday, April 22, 2010

Applesauce

Some people are fascinated by the whole twin baby thing. These people are usually other moms, moms who remind me how lucky I am to have such a large family. And they're right, of course. These moms have many questions for me, since I am a new mom of twins, and they have inquired about everything from the babies' kicks during pregnancy to double tantrums as we approach the two's. But one question in particular has stuck out as the most common question I have been asked throughout my entire five years of parenting.

It's amazing that this question gets asked so often since I have had so many amazing experiences!

Since I had two singleton babies before the twins, I have a pretty unique perspective on the whole baby thing. I have had two regular old-fashioned labor and deliveries, and one emergency C-section of twins. I have been through diapers, potty training, pull-ups, and the freedom of undies! I have now experienced the joys of sending a daughter off to elementary school and still struggle with organizing baby childcare. I have been on bed rest, diets, exercises programs, and prescription drugs to help keep my body healthy. I have thrown ten birthday parties for my kids, enjoyed two Christmases with all four kiddos dressed in red, and have outfitted every single child in cowboy boots and hats for Cattle Call Rodeo.

One of the most unique perspectives Danny and I have due to our children, is that we get to watch a boy and a girl of the same age grow up together. They are only two minutes apart, but they have learned and performed and grown at completely different rates! Although weighing less at birth, G is now heavier, talks more, laughs more, hugs more and plays more with others. J.D. has far less words, but he is twice as active, and twice as liable to scream and throw a fit when he doesn't get what he wants (namely, his favorite plastic hammer).

So, finally, the question I am most asked by other moms has been, "How are boys and girls different?"

And I give them a single word answer: applesauce.

Observe:

GIRL


This is the way G chooses to eat her applesauce.



She uses the correct utensil, scoops the appropriate amount, and neatly spoons it into her mouth.




What a little lady!




Now she is still a baby, so a certain amount of this is acceptable behavior.





One little finger dipped into the sauce never hurt anybody, right?





She might be feeling a little sheepish about the finger, but it's not a problem.




Yum.
BOY

Oh, he has a spoon.



But mashing his entire fist into that little cup is so much more fun.
And it still tastes delicious.


And really, the spoon has other important uses.




Jackpot.

No comments: