Thursday, July 3, 2014

Sugar Detox Day 4: The Early Bird

I am not a morning person.  You'd think that since I married a farmer, that I'd naturally learn to rise with the sun as he does, but I haven't made that change unfortunately.

What's funny is that I totally understand and agree with the benefits of rising early.  Jesus rose early in the morning to pray (Mark 1:35), and many Psalms and other books proclaim the blessings of waking up to seek God first thing upon waking.  But I struggle with that.  I want to be like Psalm 119:148 that says, "My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promise."


I've actually lived out that practical wisdom in my life before.  I remember having to rise super early in college to make it to campus for a 7:00 AM lab class.  And my whole day would go better.  Even waking up for an early rising child (this would be my oldest, Emma, who is her father's daughter in that way!), and then staying up to pray, read, do laundry, prepare breakfast, I would feel more purposeful and accomplished by the end of the day.  But I haven't been able to maintain the early rising habit.

Anyway, I truly believe that my sugar addiction has hindered my ability to get up early.  As a sugar addict, I would semi-wake up when Danny left around 5:45 AM, then fall back asleep, only to be awakened by two of the kids snuggled next to me, reading books, between 7:00 and 7:45 AM.  And even at that late hour, I wouldn't want to wake up.  I'd feel groggy and lazy, not willing to roll out of bed to start my day.  And this after 8 hours of solid, wonderful sleep!  It's not like I have babies anymore waking me up at all hours of the night, I get those blissful, consecutive amazing hours of sleep every night!

So last night, we were sitting around the living room as a family.  I'd just finished reading the Greek myth, "Pandora's Box" to the kids, which they loved, and we were just about to start our family prayer time.  The kids started bickering about something totally dumb.  Like, one wanted to sit on this certain section of the couch, and that had been "claimed" by someone else.  Just dumb.  So, I, being the headachy, tired, sugar addict detoxing parent, told them to, "Stop it, stop it, stop it!!!"  in a semi-loud voice….ok, a yell.  I hate to admit that, but that's how it went down.  It's so ridiculous!!!  Here we are about to lift up others in prayer, and we are bickering about couch positions!?  

Now, I don't know if this happens to your kids in the summer, but my kids have fallen into the terrible habits of complaining, tattling, bickering, and annoying and frustrating each other on purpose, and being generally discontent with life as we know it.  It must be a combination of the lack of routine, or the heat, or just the fact that we all have to stay indoors all the time.  So, I started the dumb parent strategy of asking them, pleading with them, "Why, oh why, are you so discontent and bratty and frustrated all the time?  I've taken you swimming everyday, we just went to Ricochet yesterday, the movies today with all of your friends, what else can I possibly do?"  And then I noticed Danny just looking at me with a knowing look.  And then it dawned on me.  I was creating this! I was creating these needy little bratty behaviors in my normally wonderful kids!! I had spoiled them, and not asked for much in return, so they were ungrateful.  Danny, the sage parent, finally spoke up with his great words of wisdom.  "Kids, when I was your age, I was working on the farm for six hours a day.  I'd be up and out the door for work by 6:00 AM."  Boom.  Did you hear it?  The hammer just fell.

Working is a great way to instill gratitude.  So yesterday morning, the kids and I were all up and out the door at 7:00 AM to do yard work.  We raked, swept, trimmed, pulled weeds, watered the flowers, and  cleaned the goat pen.  And it was so satisfying!!  Believe it or not, after an hour of work, the kids didn't want to stop!  So we gathered up our tools and worked in the front yard until it officially became too humid.  After that, since I was already sweaty and disgusting, I worked out, which felt awesome.  The rest of the day was a thousand times better!!  No, the kids weren't perfect, but I counted one single tattle incident all day!  And it was a legitimate tattle, by the way.  They were happy, upbeat, laughing more and smiling.

This morning we woke up early again and rode our bikes around town for 30 minutes.  The kids dragged home, utterly exhausted and sweaty.  But after the ride and my workout, I made these super delicious  Bacon Egg Cups.  By the way, if you clink on that link and go to the website, I apologize for the rude website title, but it's a great recipe, nonetheless.

My health coach, Autumn, suggested real bacon over canadian bacon, and I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with that!! So real bacon it is!!   Before putting the raw bacon in the muffin cups, I baked the strips for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees, so they'd be crispier.  I also added about a handful and a half of chopped up mushrooms, onions and spinach.  So delicious!  I ate two, Danny ate four, they were a winner.  I'm going to try making them with chopped green chilies and onions next time….YUM!!  

So here's to discovering a new yummy recipe and helping my kids re-discover an attitude of gratitude!! Hip, Hip, Hooray!!  


1 comment:

Betty said...

I saw your industrious family cleaning yesterday and remembered thinking, "What an awesome mom April is, installing a wonderful work ethic in her kids while they are still so young"

And they looked like they were enjoying themselves and the fruits of their labors!