Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sugar Detox Day 14: Week 2 Weigh in!

Today marks the end of my second week of the sugar detox.  Woo-hoo!!  I weighed in this morning and had lost another 1.8 pounds, bumping my total weight loss up to 7 pounds!!  And what's amazing is that I lost the 1.8 pounds last week and truly never felt hungry (Tillamook cheese every day will do that to you), and didn't exercise!  

Just to review, for week one, I quit the obvious sugar culprits: cake, cookies, candy, and simple carbs like bread, bagels, and croutons and I lost 5.4 pounds.  For week two, I added in tons of healthy fats, like full fat dairy, including CHEESE, avocado, coconut oil, and nuts. 

Again, today is the last day of Week 2, and tomorrow begins the dreaded Week 3.  If I could type "Week 3" in a scary, haunted house type font, I would. Because it scares me.  For Week 3, I have to cut it all.  All sugar.  

For Week 3 all of the following must go: 
  • Fruit
  • Fruit juice
  • Dried fruit
  • Tomato and BBQ sauces (they contain 50% sugar!)
  • Any condiment containing sugar
  • Balsamic vinegar (contains 15% sugar)
  • Flavored yogurt
  • Honey
  • Agave 
  • And obviously chocolate, soft drinks, artificial sweeteners, etc.
I've been eating a fair amount of fruit every day up to this point. Raspberries with my greek yogurt in the morning.  An apple and a slice of cheese for a mid-afternoon snack.  Raisins and dried apricots with my trail mix for a quick snack in the car.  And it all has to go.  The design of this sugar detox is so smart.  Two weeks ago, cutting all sugars, including the natural sugars found in fruit would have seemed an insurmountable task.  But today, after two weeks of learning how to eat clean with a diet of mainly meat, eggs, veggies, fruits and some dairy, cutting fruit just doesn't seem all that tough.  

But here's the kicker.  I'm leaving on vacation again today.  We are heading up to a Christian family camp in the mountains.  And this camp serves the food every day cafeteria style.  So in other words, whatever they serve is what we have to eat.  We don't have refrigerators in our cabins, so I can't take fresh food and stash it in there for healthy snacks.  It's a bit of a conundrum, really.  

Needless to say, I'm going to try my best, and there are a few things I can do to assist if I get in a jam up there and have only sugary or carb-filled options. First, I'm going to pack a small cool chest full of cheese, nuts, and sliced up veggies.  Second, I'm going to take along nuts so that when the cool chest is no longer cool, I'll have an acceptable sugar-free snack to munch on.  Finally, I am going to fully enjoy every moment of this camp.  If all they serve is food that is "unacceptable" on the diet, I'm going to have to eat it, but in moderation, and not complain about it.  In a way, it is what it is.  I'm going to enjoy this vacation!  

I won't be blogging all week, since leaving the computer at home is part of the deal when camping.  So I'll just leave you with a little humor!




No comments: