Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to My Dear Sister!

Today is a very important day.  Today is my sister, Ayron's birthday.  At times, for people's birthdays, friends and relatives might feel they should exaggerate all of the most positive qualities of the birthday girl or boy, just to make him or her feel special.  I have never had to exaggerate how much Ayron means to me.  She is that rare gem of a sibling who is not only kind and loving, but fun, generous and caring.  She is my first phone call in the morning, and we share babysitters, vacations, and friends.  She freely makes fun of my choice in transportation (a sweet, gold mini-van), and I tease her for her propensity and frequency of shopping for kids' clothes (a habit of which my children are frequent recipients).  

As little kids, Ayron and I were constant companions.  In fact, my mom wrote a caption in my baby book that says, "April doesn't know quite what to do without Ayron around."  I remember very clearly playing on the living room floor in our old house in Holtville.  Ayron had her Barbies and Barbie Dreamhouse all set up beautifully, while I had the horse ranch with stable and pens and Breyer horses adjoining.  

As we got older, we bickered more than we got along, unfortunately.  We were friends when we felt like it, and since Ayron has always had such an amazing sense of humor, a smile wasn't far from a frown whenever she was around.  We shared a room for a long time, but finally in about junior high, Ayron requested her own space.  I was heart-broken.  But I set up my room next door, and soon enough we had set up a routine where just before bedtime Ayron would walk into my room and say, "There's a party in my room if you want to come."  I would laugh, come into her room, sit on her bed and laugh and talk until dad got up to make us get in bed.  

We went to high school together, only two years apart, which at that time, felt like decades.  I will never forget my first day of high school.  I was a tall, gangly freshman, with glasses, braces and a terrible spiral perm.  Oh, yes, it was real bad.   I was wearing my brand new school outfit, one that I had carefully picked out for hours the day before.  That morning of the first day, before the bell had rung, I was walking alone across the long walkway in front of the quad where Ayron was hanging out with all of her "cool" junior buddies.  I was trying to act nonchalant and was not careful enough of where I was stepping.  I stepped into a puddle, which was slippery underneath my new shiny shoes, and my feet flew out from under me, and I landed smack on my bottom in the puddle in front of everyone.  I could feel the silence.  It was awful.  I ran to the gym, all the way through to the bathroom, where I attempted to wipe the watery mud off my legs and rear.  Almost immediately, the tears started falling, and within seconds, Ayron was  there by my side.  She asked me if I was okay, and she helped me clean up.  I remember so clearly in that moment realizing that she really did care about me, even if we seemed to be on different planets most of the time.  I knew she'd be there for me, no matter what.  

After high school, I joined Ayron at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.  However, my initial major of kinesiology, and then English, was lightyears away from the agriculture department, which is where Ayron belonged.  We actually lived together for a year, during my junior year and Ayron's senior year.  We started become friends at that point.  Ayron invited me to parties, introduced me to my first real boyfriend, and threw me an unforgettable surprise 19th birthday party.  She made dinner for me and my dorm friends during my freshman year, and she picked me up whenever I needed a ride, since I didn't have a car.  

When I moved home after graduating from college, I believed with all of my heart that I would gather my resources, apply to law school, and run out of the Imperial Valley as fast as possible.  Ayron and I lived together briefly and then we bought a home together when the market was still down, just prior to the big real estate boom. We became so close at this time; I think we finally realized how blessed we were to have eachother.  We went to church together, decompressed after work with eachother, and watched our limited selection of DVDs over and over.  Ayron introduced me to my wonderful husband, Danny, and the rest is history.  

Ayron married John in 2007, and sweet baby Ellie was born in May of 2008.  My twins, James and Grace, and Ellie are exactly one month apart.  We now have the blessing of watching our children grow up together, and we can only pray that Grace and Ellie have the kind of friendship that Ayron and I share.  

What follows are a few nostalgic pictures of my sweet sister.....I hope these make you smile, Ayron!


That's me on the left with the doll, looking up to my big sister Ayron.  This is 1981 and I am about two and Ayron must be just four years old or so.  We are still living in the old house in Westmorland, just prior to our move to Holtville.


Inseparable, I tell you!  Ayron is on the left, and I am on the right, yep, the one who clearly needs glasses! Nice cross eye!  Oh well.  We are on vacation at the beach in San Diego. 



Christmas 1983 or so.  That's Ayron with the flaxen hair on the left, my gorgeous mom in the middle and me behind those thick glasses on the right.  I wish I had those outfits now for my girls!


This is at our first house in Holtville.  We are heading out to an Easter celebration, and here begins the era of the super cool bowl cut.  I had this bowl cut for about 5 years. And it never got much cuter than this!


Ayron had an early appreciation of American history.  Check out her pioneer garb for Halloween.  I am a princess, and I know you can't tell, but little 7 year-old April is bursting inside with happiness at the loveliness of this dress.  My aunt made these costumes, God bless her!




And quite a few years went by.......and here we are at my wedding in 2003.  Ayron was my maid of honor, of course, and we had a wonderful night of dancing, eating, and celebrating.  My mom and Ayron made my special day a day free of any and all stresses for me.  



And just a few years later, Ayron met (or reacquainted herself with) the sweetest guy on the planet, John.  I am convinced that God made John for Ayron, and Ayron was made for John.  Not a happier or more in love couple have I seen, other than my own parents, of course.  There's is the real deal, a true love, just like in the story books.


And here is the Moiola family on our first family vacation, and when I say family, I mean ALL of us went on this trip!  My family, with all four kids, Ayron and her family, and my parents even came along for the ride.  This was a dream for everyone, but nobody appreciated this trip to Disneyland more than Ayron. A die-hard Disney fan, Ayron's dream date was often described in detail as a romantic journey through the happiest place on earth. Aahhhh....see dreams really do come true!  

I love you very much, Ayron!  You are the best sister a girl could imagine!  I hope this is a birthday you will always remember with joy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the family pictures! It is amazing how much Ellie looks like her mom and your kids look like you! What a sweet tribute to your sister. YOu are very lucky to have each other!!!!
Ann