Wednesday, August 31, 2011

You are Addicted to What?

Last week I finally got fed up.  I realized that I am tired of carrying this "baby weight" around and yes, I know deep down that it is no longer associated with any babies,  since the twins are now three years old.  And I decided to join the gym.  I figured  that by joining the gym, and paying the monthly fee, I would be more likely to get my buns on the treadmill so as not to appear to waste money.

This is a beautiful gym, although quite small.  It is for women only, which I like, and that  definitely helped me gather up the courage to walk in that day last week to sign up.  I was greeted by a lovely woman, the owner, who despite being in her 50s, power-walked around that place in the tiniest shorts I'd ever seen.  She gave me the tour, and I fell in love. I felt empowered just watching that zumba class dance its way into a frenzy.

The truth is, I was inspired to go the gym, not of my own accord, but by my incredibly fit aunt who swears this gym  changed her life.  She says she is now "addicted to exercise."  Those were her words, people.  Addicted.  Yeah.  Me?  Yup, I'm addicted too.  To something called sugar.  It's real good going down, but it leaves you with a whole lot of extra inches!

Back at the gym, I had wrapped up my tour, and the owner was giving me the big sell on why I should hire a personal trainer.  I didn't need the hard sell. I would have bought an entire new workout wardrobe at that point, with matching shoes to boot.  Because apparently, that's what you need to work out at this gym.  Anyway, I said, yes, I'll do it!  I want the trainer, the whole she-bang!

I set up my first appointment with the trainer to have a fitness evaluation.  So yesterday I went in for the evaluation, thinking, "Hey, I'm pretty healthy, I played sports forever (in high school, which was how many years ago?), and I am one busy mom!"  Boy, was I shocked when I saw my results.  Sure, I'm pretty flexible, and my legs are strong, but I've got a long way to go.  And don't even get me started on those calipers, people!  When he started coming at me with those, I actually thought in my mind, "They still use those female torture devices?  Why? Oh why?"  But I didn't say a word.  I just let the poor guy measure the fat on the back of my arm.  Yuck.  Poor guy probably had to go home and do a whole bunch of tricep extensions just to get that image out of his mind.

Anyway, today was the day of my first training session, and it. was. awesome.  Yep, it truly was great!  Sure, I can barely do ten girl push-ups in a row, and my heart rate goes up super fast once the incline goes up, but my trainer assures me that this is just a starting point.  All people have to start somewhere.  And every day that I choose to eat right and exercise is progress.  And you know what?  I believed him.  Now that being addicted to exercise idea doesn't seem so far out in left field.  It seems like I really can  start to shun the "evils" of sugar, sluggishness and sloth.  I could wear really tiny shorts....uh no.  I won't  go that far.  That's not really a goal.    

So today I begin another journey.  A day by day process of getting healthy and fit.  A journey long overdue in my mind, but I will trust God and His timing, and try to use every moment for good.  Thanks for listening, and pray for me.....especially with push-ups in mind!

No comments: