Monday, August 1, 2011

A Summer Day at the Wild Animal Park

While my mom and I and the kids were hanging out in the mountains, my wonderful sister called up one day and invited us to meet her at the Wild Animal Park.  Sounded like fun!  We hopped in the car, after tying on our wide brimmed hats and donning our safari gear, of course, and headed out for a day amidst hundreds of wild animals.  

It couldn't have been a more beautiful day! The last time I went to this very same park, I got so sick from the heat that I felt dizzy and had to leave early.  Sadly, this reaction to overwhelming heat (and hunger, and curvy roads) was not uncommon for me during my childhood, or young adulthood.  By the way, my sister totally didn't mind each time I got sick and we were forced to leave fun, exciting events, and she never teases me now about those days of "hot tummy." Never.   

Any-who, the day started off beautifully.  We had a crew of five awesome, excited kids, a sturdy, hard-working grandma, a wild-eyed grandpa (we'll get to him later), and my sister and me.  A recipe for success.


I know mom isn't going to be too happy about a shot featuring her backside, but I love this picture too much to leave it out.  Now, if it had been my rear in the photo, well....that's an entirely different story!  My four kiddos troop into the park, their hats shielding their little faces, and sunblock covering every inch of their exposed skin.  And yes, my mom is wearing a child-size sun hat.  And no, I did NOT tease her endlessly about the fact that she can wear a kids' hat! 



First stop.  Check out the wild ducks!




Then we had to check to see if anyone in our party was as big as a gorilla.  Not quite.




Next, the family climbed aboard a variety of wild, yet incredibly stoic creatures.  J.D. now wants a pet rhino.




Cubby, my animal lover, would take a baby elephant home first and ask questions later.





And here's the real wild bunch.  What a pack of sweet faces!




Our next stop was at the parakeet pavilion where we each bought little cup of nectar to feed the many birds fluttering around the enclosure.  Cubby and cousin Ellie were the only kids brave enough to let the birds eat the nectar right out of their hands.  




We decided to go on the safari tour which takes you all around the gigantic free-range wild animal enclosure.  We waited in line for quite a while, but the little ones found creative ways to entertain themselves.



Peek-a-boo!




For my part, I decided I didn't really need to go on the safari tour....




I was hanging out with enough wild animals already!




Again, Grandma D does double duty.



Once we made it onto the safari bus, life was good.  The breeze picked up and the kids happily sought out at all the animals they could see.  My little Cubby and Gigi surround their sweet cousin Ellie.  The matching shirts was just a coincidence.  Auntie Ayron is an amazing and generous shopper!




The safari tour put a smile on everyone's face.  I love my dad!




Sometimes it's more fun to play with Grandpa than watch a bunch of giraffes walking around.




After the safari tour, Grandma D bought all the kids slushies.  Boy, that sure cooled them off, and gave each kid an incredible brightly colored tongue to match the spilled slushie all over their clothes.  Good times!




Time to cool off!  Those folks at the park really know how to design a good time! Right next to the warmish safari tour, a splash pad beckoned to us.  Some more than others apparently!  That's J.D., soaking his hair.  




Cubby was surely the wettest of the group, sopping wet.  No complaining, though!





We turned the corner from the splash pad and there were the elephants!  




Ahhhh....look at the baby!




We wound our way back to the park entrance, where they had games and crafts set up for kids.  Cubby designed this sweet safari vest out of a brown paper bag.  Super creative and cool!  The hat is my personal favorite, though.  Who wouldn't want a safari hat with a bright pink fuzzy dot on top?!



Emma tried the limbo...




but once the bar was super low, it was too tough!  Those guys with the sweet zebra outfits on put the stick about 6 inches off the ground at one point, and one the guy with the long hair spread out as flat as a pancake and worked his way under that stick.  It was incredible!



Then it was time to go.  This looks like a sweet moment, and perhaps I should let you think that's what it was, but I can't resist.  Emma did go in to give her cousin and little sis a hug, but she actually is attempting to entice the two three-year-olds out of that super awesome Wild Animal Park double stroller.  If I could have wheeled that puppy right out of the park, I would have!  It had the smoothest, fastest wheels! Anyway, enough about the stroller.  

We had a wonderful time at the Wild Animal Park!  I hadn't been there, like I said, for about 10 years, and it has been improved and updated with all kids of upgrades for children.  More fun, summertime events to come as the Walker summer days of adventures continue.  Next stop: San Diego!

No comments: