Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Most Fun, Low Budget Art Project on the Planet!

My kids LOVE to do art projects.  

The two big girls especially seem to enjoy getting all the art stuff out, and creating  paintings, cards, and drawings.  We even have an "art center" at our house, which is usually a thrashed mess of papers, crayons, and other supplies.  At the moment, we cleaned and organized the whole area, and it makes me happy just looking at it!  Everything has its place.  The crayons have a labeled container, the scissors sit happily in a bucket just for them, and the coloring books stand neatly on a shelf.  Ah....the simple things that make a stay-at-home mom happy!

My four kids request permission to paint all the time.  And I usually turn them down.  Too messy. But it's not the paintbrushes that make painting so messy, just the paint.  So I decided to get rid of the pain altogether, and therefore create the most fun, low budget art project on the whole planet!  

I bought big, fat, fun paintbrushes at Lakeshore last time I was there. So yesterday morning, I grabbed those brushes, filled up some buckets with water from the hose, and yelled out to the kids, "Anyone want to paint?"  I don't think the kids even realized that the paint was missing.  They painted all over the sidewalks, and due to the heat, they constantly had a blank canvas on which to paint.

I'm sure I don't need to point out the obvious, but J.D. is painting a backhoe, as he is clearly telling you in this photo.



 
Little G, who is one of those eccentric artists who insists on painting in the nude, drew faces and rainbows.



A good time was had, by all!




The girls then moved on from the sidewalk to painting the column.  




The paintbrush is mightier than the sword.....well, at least Emma thinks so!



See what I mean?  Painting with water on a sidewalk is a fun, and practically free art activity.  My four kids loved it so much, they asked to paint some more today.  And I am not about to say no!

No comments: