Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Little Slice of Heaven

Yesterday morning I woke up and I felt super restless.  I felt a burning itch to get out of town.  So I called my mom (known as "the Jambronee" in my house.  Pronounced jam-broh-nee, this name is a silly take on "grandma."  I know, I don't really get it either), she agreed to go, and an hour later, we were headed out. 

This is yet another area where God has truly blessed me in that I have a mom who is retired, and owns a beautiful property in the mountains only an hour and a half away.  

The kids were thrilled.  After a quick glance at the weather, jackets and hats and vests were packed, and along with a fully stocked pack of snacks, we arrived to 59 degree breezy weather.  Compared to the dusty, windy warmth of the Valley, the chilly mountain air felt cold and yet heavenly at the same time. 

We rolled into town and immediately went to the little local library, which is, the most awesome, beautiful library I've ever seen. It has a great kids' section.  Cubby immediately signed on to the computer to play games, while Emma browsed the early reader section.  J.D. and Gigi pulled apart every puzzle then proceeded to walk away, already bored.  What's the point of putting a puzzle back together? Just kiddin'.

After a while, mom and I couldn't contain their noise any longer.  So we checked out a handful of kid movies, and headed over to lunch.  Only cheeseburgers would do for this ravenous crowd.  Not for me this time, oh no; that cup of tortilla soup hit the spot.  Everyone's tummies were too stuffed for pie, so instead of buying pieces we bought our whole caramel apple pie with crumb top.....yes, you heard me right....CARAMEL apple pie WITH crumb top!  Whoever decided to pour warm gooey caramel all over a freshly baked apple pie is a genius.  Nothing short of brilliance.  Seriously.  I highly suggest you try it, you might keel over from pure joy.  

Time to head for the cabin, lovingly termed "the cabin-et."  After racing up and down the stairs a few times, a toddler requirement, the little ones settled down to watch a movie and enjoy their piece of heaven...I mean pie.  

Once the movie had wrapped up, we wandered the property a little.  We gathered firewood, checked the level of water in the pond, spied on the new neighbor, picked up ladybugs, peered through binoculars at a huge hawk eating something gross, and then decided to load up for home.  There was some moaning, possibly some gnashing of teeth.  But homeward we must go!

I took my camera along, but it was so cold out, my hands were stuffed into my dad's jacket that I was wearing.  I caught a couple of funny shots before we left.  Enjoy!


A little background is necessary.  So, I asked the two of them to smile.  But Emma is now in an artsy phase, so she gives "interesting" looks at the camera.  J.D. gave me a full on smile, but before I could snap the picture, he double-checked that his big sister was also grinning.  Not so much.   



And here's yet another use for a hammer.  Yep, sometimes a tree just needs a good whack.  Not so sure what the squirrels and birds thought about all this, but I guess that's what you get when you put a tree right smack dab in the path of a perfectly good hammer.  And a two-year-old-tool-loving-little-boy.



Ok, so I am only a tiny bit biased, but is this not the most handsome little boy in the whole wide world.  Clearly a mini-Danny, this boy can't help puttin' on the charm.  Seriously, he doesn't have a clue about charm.....yet.  

And that's my slice of heaven.  A beautiful day in the mountains, surrounded by my herd of perfectly wonderful children, assisted by the most awesome mom a girl could ask for, and finished off with a piece of .....need I remind you?  CARAMEL APPLE PIE.....and a little hammer time.  

No comments: